cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet cable damaged.

spurdog
Tuning in

Hi.

I had the TV360 installed yesterday and at the time of installation the engineer could not get the ethernet connection to the router to work, so we settled on using WiFi.

I have since discovered that the cable itself is damaged and requires replacing however this entails replacing the small junction/splitter with all the wires attached.  Trying to find who I speak to rectify thisis proving problematic.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @spurdog
Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the damaged Ethernet cable. From a system check, I can see you've called the team and we've ordered one for you.

Let me know how you get on when received it

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

roy247
Community elder

Basically it's a fault so you can either call Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone, mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone to report a fault or wait here for one of the forum team team to pick this up which might be 2 to 3 day's.

spurdog
Tuning in

I have tried calling 150 and end up receiving a text with a link,  this link is unable to deal with my issue.

I will just wait until I am contacted via this medium. 

Thanks for your help.

John

roy247
Community elder

Try calling at 8am when the lines open and don't select any options and I believe you will be put in a queue to speak to someone, at that time the wait time shouldn't be a problem.

DuncanCorps
Dialled in

@spurdog wrote:

I have since discovered that the cable itself is damaged and requires replacing however this entails replacing the small junction/splitter with all the wires attached.

This 'small junction/splitter' you describe... I don't recognise that as an Ethernet thing. It could be an Ethernet hub/router/switch (if you have one of those then you'd know what it was, or the Virgin Media Superhub/Hub (a cable modem and a router in one box), but either way... Ethernet cables aren't "captive", they can be plugged into and unplugged from networking devices and replaced separately very cheaply.

This is what an Ethernet cable and plug looks like;

cat-5-cable-with-rj45-plug.jpg

... though the colour and design of the "shroud" around the plug varies.

Anyway, if it really is the Ethernet cable which is damaged, it's probably quicker, easier, and cheap to buy a replacement via e.g. eBay, and shouldn't involve replacing any sort of... 'small junction/splitter with all the wires attached'.

It might be best if spurdog posted a picture of the suspected 'faulty' part, I assumed it was a faulty active splitter supplied by virgin but possibly wrong.

spurdog
Tuning in

Thank you for your input it is appreciated. 

I do know what an ethernet cable is and I also know their purpose.

The cable in question  is needed for the 360 tv box the 2nd cable goes into the hub, these cables are joined by tape.

The engineer  had to split the cable in order for it to reach and connect into my netgear switch.  (My Router is used in modem mode.) he separated it from the attached 2nd ethernet cable by pulling them apart causing a tear in  the sleeve and splitting one of the delicate wires protected by the sleeve. He really should have use a blade to do this. Neither  of us initially  noticed the damage.

However, I have now contacted a human and a replacement  is being dispatched.

I am also using a work around. By using spare ports on my switch and a spare ethernet cable. All is well.

Thank you all so much  for your input I am very grateful.

John

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @spurdog
Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the damaged Ethernet cable. From a system check, I can see you've called the team and we've ordered one for you.

Let me know how you get on when received it

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi

They have sent a replacement ethernet cable, unfortunately it is not what is required.   I have attached  a photo of the damaged part. As you can see it is an all in one item.

JOHN. 

20220804_132743.jpg

I still haven't a clue what the problem is. That photo is a splitter for a coaxial cable and so has nothing to do with an Ethernet cable.

If you have a Netgear switch you just connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable and then connect your devices such as the 360 to the switch with Ethernet cables.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection