cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Cable

Matilda001
Dialled in

I have just noticed that my ethernet cable does not appear to be attached to both hubs.  The cable is attached to the new fibre hub but not to the other box.  Hopefully these photos will explain better as I am not very technical when it comes to these matters:

ethernet cable 1.jpgether 2.jpgether cable 3.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

That is what I have been doing, loading you You tube on my tv, then using the mobile to navigate the videos.  It was just easier to scroll through videos on the laptop with it being a bigger screen, but at least I can still view You Tube just not directly from my laptop as I have done for years.   If I am just watching you tube, then I can shut down the lap top so from a positive view point, I am saving some electricity by viewing You Tube from my tv rather than through the laptop.  Just would like to have found out why cast is no longer working.  Thanks again for your response.

Matilda001
Dialled in

I plugged in the other end of the Ethernet cable and it didn't do anything.  I had been wondering if that was the reason I have lost the ability to cast you tube videos from my laptop to my tv since the fibre hub was installed, but it still didn't work.  So, I don't  know whether to leave it plugged in, or leave it out as that was the way the engineer left it.

Hi Matilda001,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you've lost the ability to cast from your laptop to your TV since you've had a new hub installed.

How have things been since you last posted, we can see that our valued member @roy247 has already given some excellent advice.

Have you managed to cast from your laptop to your TV?

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi,

The issue has still not resolved.  I can still no longer cast you tube videos from my laptop to my tv.  I just keep getting a message 'no device found'.  Previously the device was appearing but 'greyed out' (as shown in the photo), now that has gone and I just get an error message saying no device found.  I have tried every suggestion, updating all my apps, uninstalling then reinstalling You Tube, but the 'play on tv' icon has appears to have gone for good.  Turning the VPN on and off (as that had previously worked) no longer works. I am sure it is probably something to do with the internet signals not being in sync and it's probably easy to resolve.   The engineer who came up last Thursday said he would speak to his colleagues to see if they could come up with a solution, so if you have the means you could contact him and ask if he has any ideas.  It's is just odd that this has only happened since the new fibre hub was installed.   Thankfully I have an I phone which connects straight away, so I can navigate You Tube via my phone and tv, so from a positive point of view I am saving electricity by not having the lap top on just to watch You Tube.......but there is something amiss that has caused the feature to drop off.  Very puzzling.  Thanks for your response.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Sorry to her this is still ongoing for you @Matilda001 

Can you please try forgetting the WiFi network on your laptop and then reconnecting it with the WiFi password. 

If this has not worked, please try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request.  

Let us know how you get on with these tests and we'll support further if needed.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley,

Thanks for your response.  I have done the 60 second pint reset multiple times, makes no difference.

I am not technically minded and your following words......

'Can you please try forgetting the WiFi network on your laptop and then reconnecting it with the WiFi password'

I don't have any idea how to even attempt that. How do I 'forget' the wifi network then reconnect it with the wifi password?  I am hopeless in these matters and others reading this will probably be able to know exactly what you have suggested, but I have no idea apart from the  pin reset (which didn't change anything),  on how to tackle your other suggestion.  It's me that has a poor technical knowledge when it comes to these matters.

I really appreciate your response but if you could perhaps explain what you want me to do in more detailed terms I would be grateful.

Thanking you

Apologies Matilda001, can yo try the below-

1. Select Start menu in your taskbar at the bottom left of your screen.
  2. Go to 'Settings' and then 'Network & Internet'.
  3. Select 'WiFi' on the left menu, then select 'Manage known networks'.
  4. Select the network you want to remove, then click 'Forget'

Once you've done this, to reconnect select the Network or Wifi icon in the notification area and choose your WiFi network which will be detailed on your hub.

Alex_Rm

Thanks Alex,

I am not that great with pc issues, so your explanation should make things easier.  I will wait till the weekend when my computer literate friend is visiting and I'm sure between us we will be able to to figure out and reinstate the missing cast button.   I have used this opportunity to get to grips with my Iphone, so at least I have gained some knowledge from that perspective.  I had hardly ever used my Iphone, but had to learn to use you tube through that so I can say I have had at least one positive from the disappearance of the cast button.

I will let you know how I get on and thank you to all who offered suggestions.  

Thanks again, here's hoping it will be up and running again by next week. 

You're most welcome Matilda001,

We'll pass on your thanks to Alex. Please do keep us posted with how you get on.

If you need any further assistance, please pop back here.

Kind regards Jodi.