cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English commentary on S4C red button

mugshot
On our wavelength

The Wales Argentina game is on S4C with English commentary available on the red button. However on the TV360 the red button on S4C doesn't do anything.

The '...' button gives a choice of audio streams: 'Audio description', 'English' or 'Welsh'. However you just get the same Welsh commentary whichever you choose.

So, is there any way to get English commentary? If not then can you fix this please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tafrock
Superfast

If English commentary is available it tells you at start of broadcast. To get it you oddly have to choose 'welsh' as the option in audio selection menu. Works for me every time and can confirm it worked for Wales v Argentina at weekend . PLEASE NOTE: the English commentary only appears when team sheets appear on screen and game is in progress. It defaults to Welsh when the match hasn't kicked off, at hand time or at end of game 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

ozsat
Superstar

You should have been able to press the  ...  button on the 360 remote - and change the selected audio language in there.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

mugshot
On our wavelength

The '...' button gives a choice of audio streams: 'Audio description', 'English' or 'Welsh'. However you just get the same Welsh commentary whichever you choose.

It is only available on a very few live sports - and it has finished by the time I checked.

I've never checked it on a 360 - so will look out next time.

mugshot
On our wavelength

Thanks a lot.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi mugshot,

I tested on the 360 using the contextual buttons on the remote and confirm the English option didn't work or wasn't broadcast.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

tafrock
Superfast

If English commentary is available it tells you at start of broadcast. To get it you oddly have to choose 'welsh' as the option in audio selection menu. Works for me every time and can confirm it worked for Wales v Argentina at weekend . PLEASE NOTE: the English commentary only appears when team sheets appear on screen and game is in progress. It defaults to Welsh when the match hasn't kicked off, at hand time or at end of game 

The next optional English commentary on S4C is this Saturday at 2.30pm - Rugby: Argentina v Wales

mugshot
On our wavelength

Ah I need to choose Welsh to get English, that's a bit weird. I shall do that and let you know how I get on. That's going to be such a useful tip. Thanks!

It is something to do with the DVB standard in UK with the default 'English' setting always being the home language.  You have to select 'Welsh' to get English on the Sky box too.

Here's a tip which worked on the V6 and Sky boxes, so may work on 360 too. In the main audio settings set your default language to 'Welsh'.

As everything is in English that will still be the default - but the S4C English commentary is labelled Welsh and so automatically switched to the mis-labelled English commentary.

The same system works on BBC Alba on the odd occasion that have an English language track too - but you have to select 'Gaelic'.

So the audio should go to English without having to use the RED button.