Menu
mugshot
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

English commentary on S4C red button

The Wales Argentina game is on S4C with English commentary available on the red button. However on the TV360 the red button on S4C doesn't do anything.

The '...' button gives a choice of audio streams: 'Audio description', 'English' or 'Welsh'. However you just get the same Welsh commentary whichever you choose.

So, is there any way to get English commentary? If not then can you fix this please.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: English commentary on S4C red button

You should have been able to press the  ...  button on the 360 remote - and change the selected audio language in there.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
mugshot
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The '...' button gives a choice of audio streams: 'Audio description', 'English' or 'Welsh'. However you just get the same Welsh commentary whichever you choose.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It is only available on a very few live sports - and it has finished by the time I checked.

I've never checked it on a 360 - so will look out next time.

0 Kudos
mugshot
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi mugshot,

I tested on the 360 using the contextual buttons on the remote and confirm the English option didn't work or wasn't broadcast.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tafrock
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If English commentary is available it tells you at start of broadcast. To get it you oddly have to choose 'welsh' as the option in audio selection menu. Works for me every time and can confirm it worked for Wales v Argentina at weekend . PLEASE NOTE: the English commentary only appears when team sheets appear on screen and game is in progress. It defaults to Welsh when the match hasn't kicked off, at hand time or at end of game 

ozsat
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The next optional English commentary on S4C is this Saturday at 2.30pm - Rugby: Argentina v Wales

0 Kudos
mugshot
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ah I need to choose Welsh to get English, that's a bit weird. I shall do that and let you know how I get on. That's going to be such a useful tip. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It is something to do with the DVB standard in UK with the default 'English' setting always being the home language.  You have to select 'Welsh' to get English on the Sky box too.

Here's a tip which worked on the V6 and Sky boxes, so may work on 360 too. In the main audio settings set your default language to 'Welsh'.

As everything is in English that will still be the default - but the S4C English commentary is labelled Welsh and so automatically switched to the mis-labelled English commentary.

The same system works on BBC Alba on the odd occasion that have an English language track too - but you have to select 'Gaelic'.

So the audio should go to English without having to use the RED button.

0 Kudos