Menu
tboman
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does 360 upgrade fix the AV amp audio dropout problem?

The V6 box has always had a known defect that causes brief AV amp sound dropouts. Does anyone who had these problems with the V6 box know if the 360 upgrade fixes this? I was hoping that the 360 was new hardware, but appears to just be the V6 box with new software 

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does 360 upgrade fix the AV amp audio dropout problem?

Never heard of the V6 having this issue. It certainly doesn't happen with my V6 and amp.

0 Kudos
tboman
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is a well documented issue on these forums in the V6 section. The problem has existed the whole life of the V6 box and Virgin Support confirmed it as a known issue years back. The dropouts are very brief and come and go. It is not an amp or TV issue or a HDMI cable issue. The V6 box is the only 4K source into the Amp that does it, which rules out the other hardware. It only seems to effect HD channels outputting Dolby Digital. I have had three 4K TVs (from 2 manufacturers) and three 4K Amps attached to the V6 boxes over the years and all show the problem. The V6 being the only common denominator.

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Having been a member on the forum for quite some time I am not aware of an issue with the V6 when connected to an amp, when connected to some TV's (usually Samsung and fixed by Samsung's tech support), yes, but not amps, even then it's not that common.

0 Kudos
tboman
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Here is one link, going back to 2018. I can find others if you want. Says Solved, but that is just because there was a poor workaround of using a lesser quality sound setting:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/V6-Sound-drops-randomly/td-p/3654033

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So only a handful of people with the issue spread over 3 years? 

I note some there mentioned having a Denon amp, same as me. If this was a firmware issues wouldn't we all be affected? Had no problems with my Sony amp either.

Don't know what the issue is but I don't believe it's widespread.

0 Kudos
tboman
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Okay, fair enough, I will give up. I would suggest it is more than a handful of people and many of the posts miss the point or are different from the original problem going back to 2017. Virgin admitted the problem themselves. Why does it happen on multiple manufacturers Amps? I have had it on Yamaha and Sony Amps. Why does no other 4K source have the problem? I have tested Fire TV 4K, Shield TV, Panasonic and Sony UHD players and none show the problem. Some people have accepted the workaround of using PCM, but no one who pays £1K+ on an AV Amp wants to cripple it’s functionality with PCM input.

Anyway I will bow to your superior knowledge and hope the problem does not occur with 360.

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @tboman

Thank you for your post regarding the AV amp audio dropout problem you are experiencing.

I am sorry to hear that your V6 box is affected by this known issue.

Just to clarify: if you upgrade to TV 360 it will actioned as a software upgrade on your V6 box - you will not receive a new TV box.

Hopefully the upgrade will resolve the issue - please do let us know.

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos