Menu
daveoc
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does 360 Have Subtitles For On Demand

Subtitles are not available for on demand content when using the TV6 box. Does anyone know if subtitles for on demand has been implemented on the 360 software?.

0 Kudos
mwarby
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does 360 Have Subtitles For On Demand

Iplayer has the option for subtitles (and audio description)

uktv play (tried dave and gold) don’t have subtitles 

ITV has no subtitles via catchup, but STV app does have option for subtitles 

0 Kudos
mwarby
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quest, when selecting watch from start does have subtitles

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It depends on wether the program had subtitles when broadcast, no box can just add subtitles, not as far as I know, that would mean the sound going through a converter to display on the picture which would all add delays. 

0 Kudos
daveoc
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pretty much everything has subtitles when first broadcast ( ok I'm sure there are some things without) so having them available for on demand sky movies, as an example, should be no problem but Virgin chose not to implement subtitles on the TV6 box for on demand. I was asking if they have chosen to implement it on the new 360 software.

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@daveoc wrote:

Pretty much everything has subtitles when first broadcast ( ok I'm sure there are some things without)

I don't know the exact rule, but whether or not subtitles are required depends on a few factors like the audience share of the channel and how long the channel has been broadcasting. Major players eg BBC, ITV will be required to subtitle most programmes.

At some point we should be in a position to switch on live captioning for almost any programme that doesn't have its own subtitles - Google has this working pretty well in Android now.

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

no subtitles on the audio options on the films I have just looked at, on demand sky movies. 

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

maybe the feature will be added in the future just like we are waiting for features to be added like better recording options and adding more apps like All4

0 Kudos
jimbo_l
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm currently running Sky Q and TV 360 for comparison, and I can confirm that (for example) The Inbetweeners on-demand on Sky Q does have subtitles, and doesn't on TV 360. In fact, I've found very little on-demand content with subtitles on TV 360. This seems to be discriminatory/suboptimal for the hard of hearing.

Tags (1)