cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different remotes from V6 and TV360 ?

jw1949
Dialled in

Reading a thread from 2021 (360 Features v TIVO Features by NewApollo), I did not quite understand the comment: "Each 360 remote pairs 1 to 1 with the box, it does not use infra-red (IR). This means you can only use one remote with a box and not multiple remotes, although you can buy an All In One or Harmony remote."

I currently use a remote on my V6 box, which is kept in a cupboard below the TV - ie. not in line of sight - and the remote works perfectly.  Is it still the case that upgrading to 360 can be done by software & retaining the V6 hardware?

What is my best route to upgrading as I would prefer to keep the physical box in the cupboard ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

The V6 and 360 boxes are basically the same it's the software that's very different.

The 360 remote first pairs to the 360 box using IR to do that. It's then RF between the remote and the 360 box after that so you can still keep the box in a cupboard. You can only pair 1 360 remote to a 360 box but if you needed a second remote you would need something like the one for all URC7125 which uses IR and would need the cupboard open as it needs line of sight.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

roy247
Community elder

The V6 and 360 boxes are basically the same it's the software that's very different.

The 360 remote first pairs to the 360 box using IR to do that. It's then RF between the remote and the 360 box after that so you can still keep the box in a cupboard. You can only pair 1 360 remote to a 360 box but if you needed a second remote you would need something like the one for all URC7125 which uses IR and would need the cupboard open as it needs line of sight.

jw1949
Dialled in

Thanks Roy, for a sensible explanation.  

Tavis75
Super solver

I would also do some reading up on the differences between the V6 and the 360 before changing, it is not an upgrade but a change of system (kind of like Android vs Apple) and the 360 is missing a lot of features that are available on the V6 (many of which are TiVo patents, so will not appear in the future).

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

jw1949
Dialled in

Thanks for the info Tavis.

I raised this issue after a little of this research, expecting that when I called VM this week to review/renew my contract, I might be pushed by an agent to upgrade to TV360 from the 2 x V6 boxes which I seem to have had for some time.  I was not so pushed & managed to renew for 18 months with, I think, the same package for the same price but now including Netflix and something called Home Works.   I'm a tad nervous about Home Works as the guy didn't explain what it was, I don't need it and am now not sure if I should cancel it (still in the 14 days' cooling off period), provided it doesn't alter what I consider a good deal overall ?

As ever, any feed back welcome.

Thanks, Jack

roy247
Community elder

I would check your new contract as I have seen post's about HomeWorks costing £9.99 a month.

Info about HomeWorks can be found here 

Hi @jw1949 thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of your confusion.

Thanks to @roy247 for providing the information about Homeworks, but if you do need some information on whether or not to keep this, we are here to help!

Please let us know 😊

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom, sorry if you are confused, I'm not.  

As long as Home Works is included in the overall cost of my contract I'm happy.  The call agent mentioned it but said nothing about any extra costs.

Hi jw1949,

If you still need clarification on this please let us know, I can pop you over a private message to confirm the package.

Alex_Rm

jw1949
Dialled in

Yes, please. What do you need from me ?