Menu
camsoft
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Controversial maybe, but I like Virgin TV 360

For the most part I like the 360 platform, it’s missing some key features but clearly they are actively developing so I’m okay with that  

Pros

• Modern UX and navigation is easier than the TiVo’s forward back mechanic 
  • Profiles are great for families
  • Can hide channels I don’t want like unavailable channels
  • When returning to TV guide goes back to channel you are watching (unlike TiVo which would always go to the top of the list)
  • Voice control is actually really good
  • Best feature ever is “fast forward x minutes” voice action for skipping advert breaks instantly
  • I actually like the remote control now I know where all functions are for example skip forward 30s back 10s on directional pad
  • The multiple box/device experience is seamless. Can watch everything everywhere and truly feels untethered to a specific box 
  • Mobile app is great
  • Can record to the disk of either my two boxes and recordings appear everywhere
  • “Continue watching” is useful
  • Netflix and Prime Video apps actually work
  • Actively developed unlike TiVo

Cons

• No Stop button! This is a real pain and feels totally unnatural when wanting to end a recording and delete. Exiting to TV doesn’t offer to delete recording. Yes you can do it with voice control “stop and delete recording” but that’s quite verbose
  • TV guide refresh rate is slow when scrolling fast
  • No Series Link+ (best feature of TiVo)
  • Search is limited
  • No ability to auto record shows matching search keywords/terms
  • Can’t record more than 3 hours extra (useful  for live sports like F1)
  • Delete button anxiety, when deleting a show the selection jumps to the next show but some times I think I’ve deleted the wrong thing 
  • No deleted recordings or undo feature
  • No ability to limit recordings to new episodes only
  • Watchlists are a bit pointless
  • Far to many button presses to get to the main list of saved recordings (haven’t found voice control shortcut?)
  • TV guide needs condensing lots of scrolling required to view programmes over a few hours
withitnow
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Controversial maybe, but I like Virgin TV 360

Hey

I am with you. I actually like it. I loved TiVo and it had many useful features, some of which I used and some not. But the 360 looks modern and fresh compared to the TiVo software and I'm with you on most of the pros and cons. The good thing I suppose is because it is new, things can be added and updated (hopefully) as and when they listen to feedback. They do need a recently deleted list I think. Miss that. Also do miss wishlists like you when can input an actor, or show and when they or on anything, it'll record it. Maybe down the line. 

Just wanted to give you a couple of suggestions on a couple of your con points which I hope will help. 

The 'back' button is also a stop button. This needs to be advertised more. Press this to stop viewing a recording and if your close to the end it will ask if you want to delete or keep. That is if you have this option turned on in settings. Also, if you have rewound live TV, use the 'back' (stop) button to take you back to live tele. 

I do miss a dedicated 'my shows' but to. But if you use the voice button and say "recordings" or "my shows" then it will take you straight to your recordings. 

Hope this helps. 🙂

Ultimate Oomph Bundle
withitnow
Superfast
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey

I am with you. I actually like it. I loved TiVo and it had many useful features, some of which I used and some not. But the 360 looks modern and fresh compared to the TiVo software and I'm with you on most of the pros and cons. The good thing I suppose is because it is new, things can be added and updated (hopefully) as and when they listen to feedback. They do need a recently deleted list I think. Miss that. Also do miss wishlists like you when can input an actor, or show and when they or on anything, it'll record it. Maybe down the line. 

Just wanted to give you a couple of suggestions on a couple of your con points which I hope will help. 

The 'back' button is also a stop button. This needs to be advertised more. Press this to stop viewing a recording and if your close to the end it will ask if you want to delete or keep. That is if you have this option turned on in settings. Also, if you have rewound live TV, use the 'back' (stop) button to take you back to live tele. 

I do miss a dedicated 'my shows' button. But if you use the voice button and say "recordings" or "my shows" then it will take you straight to your recordings. 

Hope this helps. 🙂

Ultimate Oomph Bundle
0 Kudos
camsoft
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tips. Will try the back button next time. It’s odd really as stop is a very common pattern on media software so to do away with it was IMO a big UX mistake. 

I can use voice commands to get to the main recordings screen (one with thumbnails) but I want the listing screen of my recordings so it’s still another clock even with voice control  

0 Kudos
withitnow
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey

Yes, I agree somewhat as people do not know how to stop if there is not a dedicated stop button. So when they combine this function with another button, it needs to be clearer, in this case stop functions being included with the back button, just put both symbols on the button. 🙂

Oh I see what you mean, yes, just takes you to the screen before doesn't it. Not found a shortcut that takes you straight to the full list unfortunately. If you discover one, let me know. 🙂

Thanks

Ultimate Oomph Bundle
0 Kudos
markdyer72
Superfast
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you use the voice control and say ‘recordings’ then highlight the box next to the thumbnails (1 down press on directional pad), then click that and you get the list view….

0 Kudos
camsoft
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yep I know how to get there, but I want to do it in one click like I used to be able to do, voice control and then two clicks is tedious. 

What is interesting is if you use a harmony remote control you can map the DVR button directly to the save recording listing screen. So the capability is there just not found of way of doing it either with voice control alone or a single button press on the new remote. 

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Strangely my logitech remote can take me straight there with one button click without using macros so the command must exist 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

camsoft
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Haha. Yep which I already pointed out. 🙂

0 Kudos
tafrock
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree with you. Apart from the series link and the option to verify you definately want to delete programmes I really don't miss v6 at all 

The multibox viewing is seamless and works every time unlike on v6 where the boxes kept losing connection 

I'm convinced the picture is of a better quality and the dolby is properly implemented leading to better quality sound too. OK there's the sound Lag problem with some sound bars but this will get solved and for now the digital optical workaround does the trick 

My main gripe is search returns different results depending on where you search from. Sometimes only 3 episodes of a series are shown. Search from a different place and a years worth are shown. I think v6 suffered from this too though

Overall I'm impressed and this platform will be developed so I would recommend updating to it