Menu
rkimber
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Connecting mini box to powerline

I'm new to Virgin. I have installed the modem and main TV box and this is working satisfactorily. I have also set up a TP-Link powerline connection to another room with a unit that has three ethernet connections. In one I have my PC, and the broadband for this works fine. I am trying to connect the ethernet socket on the mini box to a second socket on the powerline adaptor with a cat5e cable, but I am getting error CS2004 - Channel failed.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'd appreciate some advice.

- Richard

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting mini box to powerline

Have you connected the coaxial? It won't work without it 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rkimber
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah. That's probably the reason I suppose. So do I need to run a coaxial cable from the other room? In which case is there any point in the powerline? Or do I need an ethernet to coaxial adapter that connects the powerline ethernet output to the coaxial socket?

I looked at a video on the virgin help system and there was no mention of a coaxial connection. The demonstrator just plugged in an ethernet cable, just as I have done.

- Richard.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

no you can't install the coax yourself. you need to get VM to install it. you are not allowed to do this yourself
0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You need the coax connection for live TV and either ethernet or wifi connection for access to your recordings on the main box and catch up TV, also your box updates over the network.

0 Kudos
rkimber
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks.

It seems an over-complicated arrangement, but I guess I'll have to live with it.
0 Kudos