cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax for mini box

beljuk
Joining in

Advice if possible thanks. I would like to install a mini box in a new extension. Due to time constraints the electrician has ran a long run of coax cable from an internal coax socket to the outside of the extension in the hope it can be connected to the existing virgin cabling on the outside of the house. The electrician has used DT100 coax satellite cable and left enough to reach the front of the house. Would this cable do the job and should there be any issues in using it? Any advice appreciated. I currently have 360. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @beljuk thanks for your post here in the Community, welcome! 

As mentioned by @nodrogd , we will only connect Virgin Media specified cables due to potential performance issues with third party ones.

However, the TV360 may still work with this connection but we cannot guarantee this. If you do however wish to purchase a mini box and arrange a quickstart delivery where you can test this, please do give us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Worst case scenario, if the box doesn't work correctly we can always convert the order for you from a Quickstart to an Engineer Install for you.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not use any DIY installed cable. They use triple screened cable that is specifically manufactured to carry cable services. VM shares radio spectrum with other services used outside the cable & these must be prevented from entering the network, hence VM techs will only connect their own.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @beljuk thanks for your post here in the Community, welcome! 

As mentioned by @nodrogd , we will only connect Virgin Media specified cables due to potential performance issues with third party ones.

However, the TV360 may still work with this connection but we cannot guarantee this. If you do however wish to purchase a mini box and arrange a quickstart delivery where you can test this, please do give us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Worst case scenario, if the box doesn't work correctly we can always convert the order for you from a Quickstart to an Engineer Install for you.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Actually, worst case scenario is you will induce an SNR issue in the local network segment (as one of my fellow VIPs did some time ago) and EVERYONE connected to your cabinet will have performance issues.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your responses. I booked an engineer visit and he has left me enough cable to do the job. Might try to do a pull through using the cable already in place. Although the engineer has said it’s the waffle type cable that causes issues so mine should be ok. 
Thanks to you both for responding.