Menu
IanDMiles
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Changing to 360? Will it really solve problem of Netflix hanging? Is it worth it?

I've been reluctant to change my old TiVo box, because of the wealth of films and series that are stored  on it. I was offered the 360 several months ago, but didnt want to lose access to these resources.

However, now my family are most insistent about using Netflix - but this almost always freezes at some point(s) in watching a show. Sometimes it can be restarted after a minute, sometimes it hangs up for so long we abandon it.  Similarly on BBC iPlayer, possibly less often.

The standard solution seems to be to upgrade to 360, though I dont see any advice about how to do this other than telephoning Virgin. But I see from this forum many people unhappy about the new box.  Key question I guess, is whether it actually will cure the problem of Netflix freezing.

Second question - any ideas as to how to access the material stored on the old box?  Presumably it is sitting on a hard drive there, so cannot this be accessed - even if there is some way in which the box is disabled when 360 is installed?

Thanks in advance

Ian M 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing to 360? Will it really solve problem of Netflix hanging? Is it worth it?

Yes, the Samsung Tivo is the only box with the netflix issue. Your recordings will be lost and its not possible to transfer the recordings over to your new box
0 Kudos
IanDMiles
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing to 360? Will it really solve problem of Netflix hanging? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Looks like a phone call to the team.

But surely the programmes stored on the old box can be accessed in some way from a PC?

Ian M

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@IanDMiles wrote:But surely the programmes stored on the old box can be accessed in some way from a PC?

No, it's standard practice with Virgin that when your box is swapped for whatever reason, the recordings are lost. Always been that way. Cue the debate about cloud-based recording vs hard-drive based.

Both have their pros & cons.

360 vs V6 - you could ask 10 people on here, and get 10 different opinions. But as has already been pointed out, the only box that struggles with streaming apps is the "legacy" TiVo. The V6 works extremely well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks