cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch up (quick question!)

deans6571
Wise owl

I was searching the tv guide last night from a program called 'This is going to hurt' which is on BBC1HD on a Tuesday evening I think.

I found the program and noticed that it was already up to episode 5 on terrestrial tv. Not a problem I thought as I could then just go to the 'Saved' section (by pressing the Home button on the remote) and then I could see the 'Catch Up' section. 

I then found the program under 'Catch Up' but when then selecting the 'Episodes' section, although it showed episode 1 it did NOT show that this was available to watch (I think it was first broadcast before 14th February)?

Initially I thought that this was because the program was too far in the past to watch from Catch Up - but, upon then navigating to the iPlayer app within the 360 software, I noticed that episode 1 was indeed available to watch on iPlayer?!

So my question obviously is - why does episode 1 show under 'Episodes' within Catch Up as not available to watch when it is indeed available to watch on iPlayer?

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The iPlayer was historically the BBC's CatchUp service, and the EPG links were built around this premise.

When the BBC started to load complete boxsets onto the platform, the direct EPG links didn't always reflect that - and led to anomalies such as this.

As it happens, all episodes of "This is going to hurt" are linked from my V6 guide as "Watch from iPlayer"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just tested.

It doesn’t have the catchup icon in the list of episodes but episode 1 does start correctly from there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@Ernie_C wrote:

Just tested.

It doesn’t have the catchup icon in the list of episodes but episode 1 does start correctly from there.

That is strange then as when I selected to play the first episode from the list, I received some on screen message stating that I needed to subscribe to BBC1 in order to watch it??!

I had no idea what this was referring to so I just exited the screen and manually found episode 1 via the iPlayer app instead.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The iPlayer was historically the BBC's CatchUp service, and the EPG links were built around this premise.

When the BBC started to load complete boxsets onto the platform, the direct EPG links didn't always reflect that - and led to anomalies such as this.

As it happens, all episodes of "This is going to hurt" are linked from my V6 guide as "Watch from iPlayer"