cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't watch recordings via TV Go from 360 box (but aparently you can from the V6 box)

NikTheGeek
Dialled in

So, just moved from 23 years with Sky to Virgin. One of the questions I asked before signing up was if I could watch TV recordings via the app and I was told I could.

It now transpires that I could if I had a V6 box, but not with the 360 box that they ship out:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-control-app

Do I quit within my 14 days and go back to Sky? Do I ask for a V6 box? Or are Virgin going to re-instate this feature on the 360 box?

Nick

2 REPLIES 2

NikTheGeek
Dialled in

Already got the answer. You can only stream to android and IOS devices on the same network. Not to a browser on a computer for some daft reason. Also, when the box was connected via ethernet, for some reason it thought my phone was on a different network, I had to connect the box via wifi to fix that one. But now it works. But when you are sat in front of a large computer monitor, who wants to watch TV on a phone screen? But at least I know...

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NikTheGeek wrote:

Already got the answer. You can only stream to android and IOS devices on the same network. Not to a browser on a computer for some daft reason. Also, when the box was connected via ethernet, for some reason it thought my phone was on a different network, I had to connect the box via wifi to fix that one. But now it works. But when you are sat in front of a large computer monitor, who wants to watch TV on a phone screen? But at least I know...

It’s not VM that wants to block you watching on anything other than a mobile device. You can blame the broadcaster carriage agreements for that. Yes, you can circumvent this to a degree, but they are not going to make it easy for you.

V6 & V360 initially used the same hardware, although now any new boxes provided will only accept 360. The V6 firmware is TiVO driven, which Liberty Global (Virgins owners) want to drop in the same way as Sky are now dropping Sky+. So, just as if you joined Sky now where you would only be offered SkyQ, Virgin will only provide you with Liberty Global’s Horizon 360 platform firmware.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks