Menu
paulh_nwuk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can I move multiroom from Sky To Virgin

I'm currently with SkyQ TV until my contact expires in a couple of months.  My Sky broadband recently expired and so I already moved over to a 30-day rolling contract Virgin 350 broadband ... just to try out the service.  It's so much faster.  Especially with my two sons working from home and on zoom meetings every day.

I cant wait to take out the Virgin Ultimate Oomph package, just as soon as my Sky TV contact expires.  However, I do have a few questions:-

I currently have 5 sky Q boxes (main box + 4 mini boxes) but I could make do with 4.  Two downstairs reception rooms and my two [adult] sons upstairs bedrooms.  Although only two sky mini boxes (+ main) can be watched at any one time.  

Is this the same with Virgin?     Hopefully so (fingers crossed)

Can I have a main 360 box + 3 (or 4) mini boxes?  Even if only 2 minis will work at any one time?
With sky there is a fixed overall charge for 'multiroom'.  Is Virgin the same or will Virgin charge me extra for each additional box?

If I cant have more mini boxes, can I have main boxes put into each room?

If not, I will have to stay with Sky 😞  😞

Many Thanks in advance for any replies 🙂

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I move multiroom from Sky To Virgin

With Virgin V360 you can only have one main box (with 1TB storage) & two mini boxes as maximum. ALL TV boxes, both main & minis, must have a coaxial connection as standard, as well as either Ethernet or WiFi connections to the Virgin hub. Some people do have two main boxes, but this is all the firmware will allow, & there is not an option to add mini boxes to this setup. There is a separate charge for each additional box.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

paulh_nwuk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks for the answer.

Oh dear that is a shame 😞

My required rooms are all on the same outside wall as the virgin external feed.  A nice flat and very easily accessible wall.  So having coaxial put to each room would be an absolute piece of cake for the engineer.

Ethernet would also be easy enough but I do have a new netgear Orbi [Wi-Fi 6] Mesh system that works very nicely.  My house is bathed in nice fast Wi-Fi.

My sons have a TV each upstairs in their rooms.
My wife and I have our TV in the main downstairs lounge.
But, we also have another sitting room downstairs that my sons will bring their guests into (when we're not in lockdown) rather than going up into their bedrooms.

So, with Virgin, we could not have TV in the second downstairs reception room 😞
Nor is TV in the kitchen even an option 😞

Looks like I'm stuck with Sky then 😞

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Lancasters
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You could have Virgin 360 with 2 mini boxes and then use the app Virgin go on 2 devices say laptops, that could connect via hdmi to the other TVs. Recordings could only be watched on the mini box connected TVs so that would be a consideration. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Lancasters 

I am afraid that you information regarding recordings is wrong Recordings can be watched on all boxes either v360 or the v360 mini as long as the main box is on, the mini is also capable of watching live TV as well as it has a single tuner hence why the connection to the coaxial cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There are limitations with the TV GO app, only 2 devices can watch TV GO content, and you can't always watch some recordings on your PC but you can watch them on your mobile devices.

From

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/using-tv-go

On the home screen you’ll see telly picks from Live TV and On Demand. Downloads and saved shows are in the Saved folder.

Simply tap on your chosen content to start watching! Remember only two devices can watch TV GO content at the same time. When watching Sky content, only one device can watch at a time.

To customise your list of channels, go to settings and My Channels.

Note: Any show you’re watching for 3 minutes or more will automatically be added to your saved folder to pick up right where you left off.

0 Kudos
Lancasters
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for correcting me regards recordings. I would still recommend the op changes to the combination of Virgin 360, mini boxes and Virgin go app though!

0 Kudos
paulh_nwuk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"you can watch them on your mobile devices"

can't see us sitting in 2nd lounge/sitting room all watching 4k BT Sport on a mobile phone 😞

In this day of so much desire for technology everywhere, I am surprised to find that Virgin have a maximum limit of 3 televisions per house 😞

I might just have to check out Bt's tv offerings too ... before I decide to stick with my five(5) Sky boxes ... for one fixed multiroom price.

I'm beginning to realise that Virgin broadband is fantastic; but their Tv offerings are not.

paulh_nwuk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The OP might find that to be less than ideal though.
Was wanting 'proper' TV, not a GO app.

0 Kudos
paulh_nwuk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"... as well as either Ethernet or WiFi connections to the Virgin hub"

Do they actually need to be connected to the Virgin Hub itself or merely to my Wi-Fi router?

(I'm using netgear orbi mesh wi-fi 6 system)

0 Kudos