Menu
Arbedub
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Buffering and "network busy" messages on Arris boxes updated to Horizon

Hi,

I have a couple of Arris V6 boxes which were recently updated to TV360 that are having issues with playing recordings from each other.  The problems are that playback jumps/skips, says "buffering" or "network busy" in the top right, or just fails to connect to the remote box at all ("check other box is connected and powered on").

Reading around, it seems that these Arris boxes are generally regarded as suffering from these problems, and the newer Humax units are not.

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with customer services and requesting Humax units, or will they not have a clue what I'm on about? Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve my chances of customer service success?

As it stands, these boxes are causing a great deal of frustration.

Just for info, the boxes are currently both connected via ethernet, and I am happy there are no issues with the internal networking. Box reset doesn't help.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buffering and "network busy" messages on 360 boxes

Let's cover the obvious check first... all the functions you've described, are done over the "internet" link via your homehub, which introduces a good test. This same connection is used for OnDemand & streaming services - do these work ok?

You've mentioned they're using Ethernet, so on the face of it that can be reasonably assumed as not being the source of the issue. Depending on the answer to point 1.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buffering and "network busy" messages on Arris boxes updated to Horizon

What version software are your boxes, is it 4.31 or 4.32 ? 

Home, Settings, Info will let you know.

0 Kudos
Arbedub
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the replies.  None of this is over the internet, but local to the home network.  It's all about issues playing recordings stored on another box.

All the network diagnostics are green with a signal quality of "GOOD" and a connection speed of "HIGH" (whatever that is relative to..).

From the managed switches these boxes are connected to, none are reporting any port errors on the path between this equipment.

Software is currently at 4.31

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Arbedub wrote:

None of this is over the internet, but local to the home network.  It's all about issues playing recordings stored on another box.

Yes, but it's the same 360 <---> Home-hub connection that's used for all streaming. Be it VOD streaming, app streaming or multi-room streaming.

Hence VOD being a good test of the connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If the recordings are OK to watch on the TV they are connected to and it's only when you try to watch on the other TV then that would say the recordings are OK, and if on demand and catchup are OK then it's a connection problem between the 2 boxes, I would try doing a factory reset on both boxes, maybe it's a problem with 4.31 on some old V6 boxes as the 4.31 roll out seems to be still on going, I only got mine yesterday and apparently 4.32 is being rolled out. If you knew when you were updated that might help but lets not jump to conclusions that it is a bug.

0 Kudos
Arbedub
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Understood, it seems to cover the basics.  All the network diagnostics are green with a signal quality of "GOOD" and a connection speed of "HIGH" (whatever that is relative to..).

From the managed switches these boxes are connected to, none are reporting any port errors on the path between this equipment.

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Arbedub wrote:

Understood, it seems to cover the basics.  All the network diagnostics are green with a signal quality of "GOOD" and a connection speed of "HIGH" (whatever that is relative to..).

Just to clarify thing's what are the managed switches.

0 Kudos
Arbedub
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yep, it does seem odd.  The anecdotes of the Arris box and these symptoms were reported as long ago as December 20. I'll have to keep an eye on things, otherwise I'll have to contact CS.

0 Kudos
Arbedub
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The managed switches in the path are netgear GS110TPP, GS110TPv2 and GS108Tv2 being routed via a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter4.  The tv360 boxes are all on the same VLAN though so there is no routing or firewall rules in play.

0 Kudos