cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block You Tube App

paulyf693
Tuning in

I would like to delete or at least control access through a pin to the YouTube app on my v6 box. The instructions to do so here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-parental-controls do not seem up to date as I see know lock apps and games option? Anyone able to advise please? 

35 REPLIES 35

IT is craxy that parents cant control/monitor their apps. Even with restricted mode, my kids can watch pretty much whatever they want on youtube, and i cant monitor it all the time. 

Please Virgin introduce a way of having it pin protected. 

Does Virgin get paid for pre-installing YouTube and making it impossible to uninstall? I don't understand why they would force such dross apps onto people and their children unless they were getting paid to do it.

The same way Microsoft gets paid for pre-installing Facebook, Netfilx and other dross apps on children's laptops?

Samsung is also bad for installing dross apps on children's devices, I cant even uninstall Facebook from Samsung phones, it's permanently installed forever!

Such a shame.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

While you don’t want to use YouTube, I would suggest most customers do want access.

You need to just not use it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Ernie_C wrote:

While you don’t want to use YouTube, I would suggest most customers do want access.

You need to just not use it.

This issue here is not me or my self-control, the issue here is a lack of parental controls for children, not adults :D. Personally I still use YouTube for educational videos, it's not that I don't want to use it, I want the kids to not use it, not me.

I'd want my children to grow up watching the same things I did... sophisticated things with real production value. Like Attenborough documentaries and curated educational and inspirational shows and cartoons which teach morals... not cheap entertainment like "challenges" and commercial marketing disguised as children's entertainment.

Children don't really know what they should or shouldn't be watching and 80% of the stuff on YouTube is pure dross. YouTube is not some curated collection of content for children. And who decides what the kids watch on YouTube??? A.I. The Artificial Intelligence decides.

Most YouTube videos are spewed out by people who have only two interests Money and Views, not child development.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I thought you had to sign in to YouTube with a password?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It would be great if you did need to sign in with a password, but ours just comes on through the apps - no need to sign in.

I don't mind having youtube pre-installed, although would rather not - i just want to be able to have the option of controling when it can be watched (with a pin or passcode) so i have some control over when my kids are watching it and for how long. They're too old to need constant monitoring, and while they can watch dross on netflix/amazon etc, at least you can set an age rating and i know they wont be watching car crashes or whatever it is they sometimes watch with loads of swear words in (even though i've set the restrictions). As a parent I wont to be able to control when they are/arent watching it. 

They're sneaky little kids and will just flick between you youtube and netflix when they hear me approaching and say they werent watching it, when they were! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ernie_C wrote:

I thought you had to sign in to YouTube with a password?

Yes and no.

You can sign into YT with a profile password which will enable the history, personalisation etc - but you can still use the app without one just as you can use the youtube.com website without signing in.

TiVo & V6 allow you to PIN-protect access to the app, 360 doesn't.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I find it unacceptable that YouTube doesn’t provide password protection for all users. Open access is ridiculous.

Q8
Tuning in

It’s incredibly frustrating that one can’t restrict access to YouTube.  I’ve sent a complaint to Virgin, however as usual they don’t seem to understand or pay much attention.  They gave me instructions of how to set up a pin for channels, which I tried to explain this does not work for apps.  Again, they repeated instructions of how to setup a pin.

It was possible to control app access on the old box software, so surely it should be simple enough to allow parental controls on the 360 software.  Get your act together Virgin!

I'll send a complaint too...but as you say virgin customer service is the pits!!