Menu
Inaspin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Beta version ? Or upgrade ?

Have just deleted all my old recordings and series links and I am starting to wonder why. 

Series link is the biggest issue, as there is far less control than on the old box. 

Feels wrong to be waiting for functionality that was already well established in the old version. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beta version ? Or upgrade ?

Neither, it is a change to a different system that VM'S owners have developed.

A lot of the features used in the TiVo software are apparently patented by the TiVo developers and so are difficult to replicate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just doing the 360 upgrade does it all for you. Reformats the HDD before upgrading. 

Series links will be improved with software updates we are told.

vircom
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So anyone, like me, who wants improved recording features would be better waiting until they are implemented and stay with the V6 for now unless there is a must have feature they want from the 360.

The V6 already does what I need so, for now at least, the 360 would be a downgrade.

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you use series links the options are few, if you set it to record series 2, it will also record series 3 and 4 if they are being shown, you cannot set it to record new only, so if an episode is shown on Monday and you watch it Tuesday and delete it, if it is repeated on Friday it will record again.

If you do a lot of recording and have 2 V6 boxes you will lose out on available space if you go to 360 main box and mini box setup as the mini has no hard drive, you can get a software upgrade to the 360 boxes and keep the V6 boxes and have 2TB of storage but there appears to be a lot of issues for some people with this. Although the fix is always just around the corner.

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If in depth recording and Series Link controls are important I would wait till the advanced options are added to TV360. I would say the GUI, Layout and speed of TV360 is a lot better than TiVo we just need more features and apps added 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@TiffanyGreen97  I admire your unbridled confidence that such 'advanced options' will ever be added to the TV360 system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It wouldn't be difficult to add options like that and we have been told that they are in the process of being added. If they don't then people will just leave 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On what basis do you say ‘it wouldn’t be difficult’?

Adding the very mature functions available with TiVo software will be VERY difficult.

Currently with TV 360, you can’t even get a list of series records.

There is no clash management, except ‘which of these do you not want to record?’.

Even the simplest of functions is missing - record new only, don’t re-record if I’ve already watched, ......

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am sure if Sky and TiVo can implement it then I am sure the Horizon team can implement it. If these functions don't get added then virgin will start to lose a lot of customers