cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC to move Wimbledon extra streams online...

RayW2
Dialled in

It seem the  Beeb are to move the extra ourt coverage strems from satelite to online covergage.

What effect if any this will have to cable provision remains to be seen ...

https://informitv.com/2023/06/17/bbc-moves-extra-wimbledon-coverage-online/

--

RayW2

8 REPLIES 8

1701-e
Superfast

Just means no extra channels on 992-997 , instead online via iPlayer.   No great impact unless you wanted to record stuff on the extra channels 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The BBC are having to justify even carrying the one RB stream they do now. On yesterdays Trooping the Colour they opted to carry the Audio Description stream instead of the one with no commentary as in previous years. By giving it an accessibility use gives it more value for money.

In past years all the Wimbledon iPlayer streams were rewind-able. Whether they extend this so they can be replayed at a later date will have to be seen.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

IanS
On our wavelength

It was convenient to have those extra channels. 

I have been trying to get Court 17 this morning via the red button, but nothing but a test card, and they should have been playing for 30 minutes. 

Looks like a BBC issue as it is the same on other devices.

Got somebody to check and Court 17 is working fine on ESPN+ - still not on BBC iPlayer.

@IanS wrote:

I have been trying to get Court 17 this morning via the red button, but nothing but a test card, and they should have been playing for 30 minutes. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Was fixed at 11:56am.

@IanS wrote:

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For those with UHD TV's and V6, 360 and Stream boxes, the centre court coverage is in UHD on iPlayer.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ellceeaye
Joining in

I'm very disappointed with this, it was so much easier to flick through channels 991 upwards to decide which match to watch.  I find iplayer so slow and clunky, it takes ages to find the right place

Thar is device dependant. Which box are you using? I don't find any such issues on the 360 or the Firestick.

I find the iPlayer offering all 18 HD court streams (plus BBC1 & BBC2) - is better than just 6 courts (plus BBC1 and BBC2).

Also, this is a BBC decision and nothing to do with VirginMedia.

Although VM offered you six channels - others still only got the sinlge extra court.

IPlayer provides all courts to everyone with internet access.

@Ellceeaye wrote:

I'm very disappointed with this, it was so much easier to flick through channels 991 upwards to decide which match to watch.  I find iplayer so slow and clunky, it takes ages to find the right place