cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio issue - sharp bleep changing audio output

JP77
Tuning in

Hi,

I have my Virgin setup with Sonos - a beam and 2 play 1’s. For over a year the sound has worked fine and I have follow content audio setting on so when switching from different channels/shows or app eg Netlfix I can see through Sonos it changed from Stereo PCM to Dolby 2.0 or 5.1. It did this fine and worked well. Just recently now when the audio output changes when I change channel theres a sharp bleep noise for 1-2 seconds which is pretty unpleasant and then the sound kicks in fine. I know there was a fairly recent update. Has anyone got any ideas? I don’t really want to have to just use Stereo PCM as that kind of defeats the point of having my surround sound! Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

Can you give this a try?  Change the mode to activte start and see if it is any difference tomorrow morning.

VM are aware even if it doesn 't look that way in this forum.

@JP77 wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

A visit will not fix it - it is firmware issue and not hardware fault.

What power saving mode do you use?  Fast Start?

@JP77 wrote:

Yep!

Played with all settings and cables etc. Still the same problem! Think i’ll call for an engineer visit or something

Ah well I guess I call to report it so maybe they can look into it. Long shot I know!

Yes it’s fast start, thanks for continuing to try and help

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

@ozsat wrote:

Can you give this a try?  Change the mode to activte start and see if it is any difference tomorrow morning.

@JP77 wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

@JP77 wrote:

Yep!

Played with all settings and cables etc. Still the same problem! Think i’ll call for an engineer visit or something

Ah well I guess I call to report it so maybe they can look into it. Long shot I know!

Nope. No change and tried active eco and fast restarting in between changes

OK, I've found that the beep has sometimes gone after being in standby - but not 100%.

@JP77 wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

@JP77 wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

@JP77 wrote:

Yep!

Nope. No change and tried active eco and fast restarting in between changes

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JP77
Welcome back to the community. 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with a loud beeping when changing audio output. Does this happen when the Sonos is not set up on the set top box? We can't support 3rd party device issues, but we will try help as best we can. If you do find a fix or workaround, do let us know so others in the community having the same issues can try your troubleshooting steps.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

No it doesn’t but it isn’t a Sonos issue as it works fine on every other device. It’s only when running through Virgin and the audio is changing from a dolby output to a stereo pcm output. Thanks,

You mean the channel changing audio from PCM to DD causes the issue - which is what I can recreate??

@JP77 wrote:

No it doesn’t but it isn’t a Sonos issue as it works fine on every other device. It’s only when running through Virgin and the audio is changing from a dolby output to a stereo pcm output. Thanks,