Menu
Pete_Notts
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A 360 Box..1Gbps..I'm New Here & Bamboozled !!

Hi

I only signed up yesterday..and it was for a totally different reason - ergo to rally the bosses to provide CNN in HD. That was why I joined.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm no newbie to the firm - being a customer so long that I still have my old ntlworld email address.

I tend as a hermit recluse - which is sadly easy under these desperate times - to live/exist, and generally like to keep my tech up to date at the highest spec..so long as useful to me.

But this forum has left me with a ton of questions. And before anyone asks - yes, I know how to use google, and to visit the VM site and dig through things. I've done that, and come up emptyhanded in terms of answers.

Before noting the questions..I also discovered that I cannot upgrade anything online. I currently have TiVO, Maxit package, M350 broadband and home phone Talk More Anytime. I also subscribe to Sky Movies HD.

This is my first question/confusion. So I receive all the email fliers from VM..none are blocked. What is 360, and where does it sit in terms of boxes available ? Is it superior/next gen to TiVO ? Is it only an app upgrade box for voice control..? Is there extended UHD compatibility with the 360 ?

Honestly trying to find a comparison against my current TiVO eluded me. I generally always want the best tech..*BUT* if the 360 is superior, then apart from 'voice commands' which I don't care about - what is it in terms of what I have already with TiVO ?

The next thing which is really under my skin. A few threads down and I see customers talking about a 1Gbps service. I live in central Nottingham, so a fairly central location - and have never had any mail letting me know there are higher tiers of broadband. Plus as I said, when I click on "Upgrade your...phone/TV/broadband" I always get this verbatim message :

"Oops! Something went wrong.

Sorry, we’re unable to change your package online."

Then trying to phone up, it ends up never being able to get through to anybody. I'm not grinching about that though..Obviously under these dreadful days, there is a limited service and staff available.

I still receive plenty of emails from VM..like channel guide changes, what's new to UHD etc. BUT Until joining yesterday, I had never heard of 360..or more important for me, broadband speeds of upto 1Gbps...!!

Given :

1. Phone contact is near impossible

2. No emails ever sent telling me about these developments

and

3. Clicking on Upgrade to any of my existing packages results in above "Ooops" message..

..How do I find out what's what, what's new, comparing TiVO against 360, exploring much higher broadband speeds than my M350 package...?? I love to always know what the new/latest tech developments/upgrades are - but finding out seems easier said than done - for me at least 🤔

Time for an early scotch now though. Thanks for reading my meanderings, hardly critical I realise..

Be safe everyone 💟

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: A 360 Box..1Gbps..I'm New Here & Bamboozled !!

A couple of brief responses to a long opening post.

TV360 is a Liberty Global in house alternative to the TiVo based system.

Based on reports here it is not a ' superior' system. You can read VMs advertising here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/virgin-tv-360

The oops message on the online upgrade page is common if you are currently on a non standard package.  It is done to protect you from inadvertently selecting a new deal that will cause you to lose some aspects of your current non standard package.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pete_Notts
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham

I had seen the 360 box link already, which made it difficult to compare/contrast against the TiVO. The interesting part is your info that it is more of an alternative, rather than an upgrade per se to TiVO.

Ahhhh..re. your second point !! Yes, I'm on a tweaked package indeed to save money. In essence I suppose it's a good idea..but conversely it would be good as a quick way to view everything else available. Surely a user would have to click "Accept" then more clicks to confirm a package change. Dunno just my off the cuff simplistic initial thinking..better to see what's there, and either ignore or select if for some reason it suits you as a customer. I'm a fan of too much information when it's stuff I pay for

That 1Gbps thing though...That had my mighty computer system revving it's muscles jealously, up for the challenge 😀

Speed Junkie 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again Pete,

Sorry this is long, but it's to give you something to think about.

One of the reasons for the Oops error is because VM's systems could be a darn sight better and it's  usually because you either already have a discount, or because the package you are on is no longer sold and requires extra manipulation by agents to change the package. (The systems need a little help doing that)

The 1gig broadband might not be available in Nottingham yet.  There's a page listing locations that can receive that speed, it doesn't include Nottingham, but the page looks like it may be out of date.  

gig1-gigabit-broadband   Around a third of the way down the page is a box to enter your postcode so you can check if it's available 

I was surprised as when I checked it shows my area is due to get the upgraded speed from 11th January, so fingers crossed it will be available for you too.

If you can't get the 1gig then you may still be able to increase your speed to the M500 speed.

Since you are thinking about upgrading your current TiVO, Maxit package, M350 broadband and home phone Talk More Anytime and Sky Movies HD package it may be worth your looking at the ultimate-oomph-bundle  as customers on that package will receive  a free upgrade from the M500 to M600 speed by the 31st March. You would also receive anytime calls, a free unlimited mobile sim, kids channels and Sky Sports in HD and BT Sports in HD and 4K along with your Sky Movies HD. That package also includes 2 set top boxes.

You say you have a TIVO, are you sure it's a TIVO and not the newer V6?   https://my.virginmedia.com/your-tv-box/index.html

The TIVO is very old now and not much good for streaming and catch up. The V6 also has more apps than the TIVO such as Amazon Prime and a faster interface.  

The newer TV360 is ideal for some people and not so good for others as it has a few teething issues such as not as many apps and a lack of settings for series links for recordings.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

Pete_Notts
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave 🙂

Thank you so much for the long detailed and truely informative reply..!!

And embarrassed LoL at myself....you are absolutely right in what you suspected - yes I have the V6 box - but hell as leather my mind always resets to the title TiVO...I think because it took me so long getting used to writing TiVO with a 'small' "i"...lol...I'm not sure, but yup, I am indeed a V6 box owner 😂

Well I was having fun indeed using that 1 gig checker tool..and thanks Dave..but my God it's a slightly wibbly link indeed. Only occasionally it allows you..well, me...to proceed, and the results are not clear. It looks like *I think* that I can get the M500 as you mention, but also does state that the 1 gig service is rolling out nationwide during 2021.

Maybe better to sit on my modem for a few weeks/months until coverage is here, rather than an upgrade to 500 now, and then re-negotiating again for 1 gig days/weeks later potentially.. At least that's my slightly scotch tainted logic 😉

11th Jan for you..?? You'll be quicker than Speedy Gonzales with his arse on fire come Monday :-)) Yeah, I'll definitely wait until it rolls out here, and do just the one upgrade once it arrives, and join you and the other speed demons late to the party !!

Again I have to thank you for that next link - the Ultimate-Oomph one. That is definitely an excellent bundle, I really did read through the whole package as well 🙂 Alas it's not for me. I don't have kids, and the last sport I ever watched was probably a weary game of table tennis around the late 70's..haha. Yeah. Not a sports soul at all..unless Olympic scotch drinking is a thing now in these grim days ? 😅 Got to smile in dark days, it just about keeps us sane.

On the basis of what you said about boxes, then I feel fairly safe now in believing that I am probably at the best with my ..I almost wrote TiVO again..!!! My V6. Damn, I will have to say it three times a day to unwire my noodle from my previous box. Only had the V6 about 2 years as well ;-s

Again that Oomph package is a hell of a lot bang for your bucks. But being single, allergic to sports that don't involve competitive alcohol consumption, no kids and just a grumpy funny old dog..cumulatively means I cannot justify that one to myself. The pending one gig though..? Most definitely, I'll be chasing you down that road soon as our rollout arrives here.

Thanks so much for the long personalised reply, and I do hope that away from all these things, you are happy, healthy and safe.

Kindest Wishes Mate

Pete

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No need to beat yourself up about TiVo vs V6 as the V6 box also runs the TiVo firmware.  It is just that VM use the two names to differentiate between the two main boxes that were around until the TV360 was recently added to the range.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Pete,

Just some food for thought whilst your are quaffing your Scotch.

Looking at the VM link for the Bigger Bundle (Maxit TV) plus Sky Movies in HD the pricing is £62 a month for new customers, rising to £97 a month out of contract.  That pack is for M100 broadband and talk weekends. bundles/bigger-bundle-movies  Oddly enough the small print at the bottom of the page (under OFFERS) says its M200 broadband.

You actually have M350 and anytime calls, so your cost will be slightly different.

I reckon it's worth a call to retentions and see what price they can offer you. I don't know what price you are currently paying, but it's definitely worth negotiating, even if you don't take up a new offer for now

My thinking is that currently the ultimate-oomph-bundle  is only £79 for new customers, rising to £139. This may work out cheaper in the long term when negotiating. I managed to get my Ultimate Oomph for £110, others have managed it for less ( I realise you don't want all the bells and whistles) but I've also seen posts on this forum where people have upgraded to that package and then also been able to upgrade to the 1gig broadband for an extra fiver a month.

Take care and stay safe Steve, and let me know how you get on when the time comes that you do regrade.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

Pete_Notts
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you, Dave and some determined reading, I think I've just about finally caught up on the differences. Why run, when you can lurch clumsily forward..lol..Cheers mate.

0 Kudos
Pete_Notts
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dave

Yeah, my contract came up for renewal just before Christmas. I had a truely awesome deal..and knew it..of exactly £80.00 a month for M350, Talk More Anytime, Maxit TV and Sky Movies. Upon renegotiating, there was no breathing room this time..can't complain in fairness..and stuck to the same package, but now £109 a month.

That first link is not a bad price, but the M200..a big speed downgrade, would keep me away. Like yourself, I'm the Jeremy Clarkson of surfing.."More Power.." But yup, it's a good price.

It's a bit late on the night now, but...I may be swayed into doing a bit more research on the Oomph bundle - and after all a phone call is free, and doesn't tie me to a decision. You utter temptress 🤣 Take Care Buddy & yes I will repost once/if I do alter things,

No idea who Steve is - but I hope he has a great night too 😉

Time to freeze my knackers off now, and walk my little helion over on the deserted frozen park. Hot toddy - plural - on my return. :-))

Night & Be Well

Pete

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for getting your name wrong Pete, it was unintentional.

I blame it on my dotage.

To be honest I don't need the extra speed, but it's nice to have the option and can possibly be used as a bartering tool in the future.

God bless

Dave

0 Kudos