Menu
Rising star
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

4k ready mini box

Received an email today from Virgin Media (email@em.virginmedia.com) regarding a free 4k ready mini box to certain customers. Is this a legit offer and email address? I believe it is, but I just can't find any information about it. 

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4k ready mini box

Whenever VM has given freebies such as an Xbox One S or TV you always have to sign up to a new deal such as the Ultimate Oomph bundle. Any freebie on its own is a scam.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't affect your current contract, that's what the email states. 

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi shawty1984,

It's a legit VM email address. It sounds like they are offering you an upgrade from an old Tivo to the newer V6 box

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Hero
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

If you are confident it's genuine why not click on the link or call the number in the email and tell us what happened.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

There are a few people saying they have been sent this email which is likely real - an offer to be first to get access to the Horizon-based TV box as a replacement for the existing V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Rising star
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

"Hi shawty1984,

It's a legit VM email address. It sounds like they are offering you an upgrade from an old Tivo to the newer V6 box

Dave"
We don't have any old TiVo boxes, we already have the V6 boxes. 
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

"If you are confident it's genuine why not click on the link or call the number in the email and tell us what happened."

Because if it was a scam, it wouldn't be wise doing that. That's why I wanted it confirming.

Rising star
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

"There are a few people saying they have been sent this email which is likely real - an offer to be first to get access to the Horizon-based TV box as a replacement for the existing V6."

I thought the horizon was a software update and not hardware? So are these to replace the V6 boxes or is this a mini 4k box? The email states - 

We think it’s only right that our customers get their hands on our amazing new TV experience first. Get it at no extra cost today and discover how we bring together all your screens, favourite channels and apps, so you can seamlessly watch and stream the telly you love, at home and on the go. Yep, it’s our best TV experience yet, on the house.
Great power and streamability
Our fastest-ever TV experience, now with new features like super powerful voice search, personal profiles and more.
Entertainment, brought together
The UK’s most popular channels, Catch Up services, movies, TV Box Sets and built-in apps, all in one place. So you won’t need to hop around.
TV that moves with you
Watch in more rooms with a 4K-ready Mini box. Or stream, control and manage your recordings with our free, supercharged, Virgin TV Go app.
Ready to go? We’re making our new TV service available to you early, and you have until 2nd September 2020 to get involved. There’s limited availability, but don’t worry it will be available again soon.
Once you’ve applied, it can take up to 7 working days to receive your confirmation.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

The letter is very poorly worded.

Although it mentions the mini box, from reading the Eire material, you need a Horizon box to be able to use the mini box.

I suspect what is being offered is a Horizon box and the rest of the words are an attempt to describe the product capabilities.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks