Menu
ant1DP
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

3x TV360 boxes share everything inc recordings?

We have two V6 boxes that were upgraded to 360’s and my mother has her 360 box downstairs with User: Fiona for her soaps and quizzes. My User: Ant on my box upstairs is where I record films, adult cartoons and MotoGP.   But everything seems to be shared on both boxes even though we have separate users, like favourite channels, passwords and recordings.  This is a major pain as we both hate each other’s tastes. 

please can you help me keep each 360 box separate??

Thanks 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3x TV360 boxes share everything inc recordings?

Hello

I am afraid that is the way the v360 software works in that all the boxes can see all other recordings it doesn't matter which profile you are under, the user profiles on the boxes are there for the control of favorite channels, settings like subtitles etc but I am afraid not the recordings.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ant1DP
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike 

even the favourite channels and passwords are shared across our boxes.  Nothing is individual to a  single user. 

can one of us go back to V6?  That would fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello

You can only run either Tivo (v6) or Horizon (v360) you cannot mix Tivo and Horizon software on the same account.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@ant1DP wrote:

can one of us go back to V6?  That would fix the issue. 

As Mike has said, you can't mix TiVo/V6 & 360 on the same account.

Neither can you revert from 360 > TiVo platform, before you ask.

0 Kudos
ant1DP
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Japitts and Mike

Wow this news is a major bummer. I feel like I’ve been ripped off, stolen from, conned. 
Nobody is stupid enough to think that different people wish to see everyone else’s clutter.  Their was no warning either. 

looks like we’re going to have to try and get separate tv services.  Do you know if one of us can go to Sky? and the other stick with virgin. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sky & Virgin are completely different providers with their own equipment, and there's nothing stopping you from having multiple installations at the same address. Some people do exactly that.

Cancellation of one of your VM boxes would depend when you last re-contracted and/or had it installed - you'll likely have a 14day cooling-off from that point.

There isn't a 14day cooling-off on a TiVo/V6 > 360 migration, only on account changes.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@ant1DP wrote:

Hi Japitts and Mike

Wow this news is a major bummer. I feel like I’ve been ripped off, stolen from, conned. 
Nobody is stupid enough to think that different people wish to see everyone else’s clutter.  Their was no warning either. 

looks like we’re going to have to try and get separate tv services.  Do you know if one of us can go to Sky? and the other stick with virgin. 

Sky don’t seem to think it’s stupid either as their SkyQ boxes operate in the same way. You can have services from both companies at the same time, but it’s up to whether the expense is worth it owing to the loss of discount.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
ant1DP
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey Nodrogd

I’m sure you must understand why Sky and Virgin are making this change but just in case I’ll offer my thoughts. Sky & Virgin are businesses and cheaper boxes is a good business, a decision based on profitability and not better service, plus the fact they have a monopoly on cable tv means if they can make the change theirs almost nothing anybody can do except double up on tv services, which is even better for them.  The change is not so good for me when I have to scroll through tens of game shows recoded daily by my mother and the problem is vice versa.  I’m guessing I’m not the only person with this issue either.  Can you imagine having to scroll through hundreds of children’s cartoons or mtv videos, not cool.  I believe this change is malicious because they don’t warn us that we will have greatly reduced recording functionality and individuality.  We’re fooled with a voice operated remote.  All that glistens is not gold etc. 

another issue with 360 recordings is they no longer store the same series shows in one folder location if they are recorded on different channels or maybe days too.  This adds to the confusion. One might think Big TV are trying to put us off recordings all together and turn us towards what’s available live or streamed.  That would save money on personal storage.

No wonder they were so quick to give me a discount to accept this change.   

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The changes have been dictated to VM by its parent company in the US, who are bringing Horizon in on all their operations in Europe  & beyond. The emphasis is shifting to streaming services at the expense of recording options, indeed a Broadband only streaming device is now being trialled by VM.

DOCSIS cable operations cannot operate on a competing basis, because the technology cannot be shared between one company & another without completely duplicating all the street infrastructure. Additionally cable operations in the UK operate under an area franchise structure the same as ITV regions do. And just like the original 14 ITV companies these cable companies (there were over 20 separate cable operators to start with) either went bust or merged to become what is now VM.

Sky also had competitors in the past, but again they either failed (On Digital) or merged (British Satellite Broadcasting). It was alleged that Sky tampered with ODs encryption system at one time, but this was never conclusively proven. All the fun of an open TV market. What can I say? It is what it is, & we have to live with it.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos