cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 upgrade deleted our recordings without warning us

DeeS1
Joining in

We were persuaded to upgrade our Virgin box from V6 to 360 but were not informed this would delete our existing recordings. These included precious films and box sets. Can we retrieve them?

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, is the short answer. A conversion from TiVo/V6 to TV360 is not so much an upgrade as a complete change of TV box software & platform - much like moving between Android & iOS.

Any agent who sells you this migration should be pointing out some basics - primarily that your V6 is reformatted during the conversion and totally different software is installed. Your series links & recordings are permanently deleted as part of the process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would also point out that recording boxes are provided for time shifting purposes only. They are not meant in any way to be a permanent archive. Virgin's agreements with the broadcasters have a clause which is also reflected in their Terms & Conditions of service.

"By viewing the television service you acknowledge that the equipment we provide to you may be enabled by us to make recordings, on your behalf, of broadcasts of the types of programmes that match your preferences, for the purpose of enabling those broadcasts to be viewed at a more convenient time for you."

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

antonyr123
Tuning in

If the movies was things you payed for. Then you have the legal right to ask Virgin to issue you compersation. Even if it is Credit spent on that content.

@ndrogb There is not a time limit on payed content. This is why Virgin made the Media Store. Because even if you leave Virgin and close your account.

You still keep access to the Media Store and the movies you payed for.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@antonyr123 

This thread is about recordings not PPV or VoD content, and nodrogd's answer was correct.

If you convert from TiVo/V6 > TV360, access to paid-for VoD content is retained - but recordings are lost. What the recording is of, is immaterial.

antonyr123
Tuning in

This thread is in the Virgin TV 360 Category ?
This post was a question about lost content? No one asked what kinda content they lost?? Assumed?

Virgin Media Recorded content is Subject to contracted martial between virgin on behalf of the "user" too store content for there convenience.
Virgin don't own the content (Even though they think they do). Its Held on "your" behalf Section B8 " Which is a representation of "you" for Personal use only***

If the user is in a contract with virgin. Virgin should of made them aware, If they was gonna remove there content, Due to Software or Hardware limits and gave them a choice.

Only Criteria i see that would allow the remove content is Section B9 and Service Section 11 Subsection 1-2-3.

Where in T&Cs May 2023. Does it say Recording or Store Content will be Removed upon upgrade? i honestly see very little about this.. and even less about the use of TV360

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I am not aware of any operator anywhere in the world which provides the facility to migrate recorded programmes on change of STBs. It really isn't worth the hassle of supporting such a thing for the operator or box maker. If you're that keen on some programme or film, buy the DVD or Blu-ray.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@antonyr123 wrote:

This post was a question about lost content? No one asked what kinda content they lost??

@antonyr123 

From the original post - "were not informed this would delete our existing recordings".

My fellow VIP nodrogd has already responded with the relevant T&Cs quoted. If you have your own query, it's better to start your own thread.

Roger_Gooner
Have you never heard of a company called 
Sky ? lol There Storage and Recording can be Cloned and Mirgated from hardware and Software updates with there esata port for many,many years. lol

@Japitts Yes.. the relevant T&Cs quoted was in favour of the customer not virgin which is what i quoted. 
Seems like virgin isnt bothered either way. It shows being as u have the worse customer service in the world?

Have a good day.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I stand by what I said. You cannot transfer recordings from Sky+ HD to Sky Q.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection