cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 remote batteries

Laurencehead
Joining in

I have a 360 box and remote. I have changed the batteries and used duracell AAA. The remote seems to burn through them in about 2-3 weeks. Is there a certain battery that I should use instead or do you think there may be a problem with the actual remote?

Many thanks

Laurence

15 REPLIES 15

g0akc
Problem sorter

I guess it depends how much you use the remote.  That does seem a short life.

We’re still using the original batteries that came with the remote in October. Moderate/frequent use including fast forward of adverts in recordings etc.

Where did you buy the Duracells?  Reputable shop?  Fresh and in date?

Try another brand.  Any good make of Alkaline should be fine. Don’t use Carbon Zinc type.

Nowadays I usually buy from Amazon’s own brand, GP etc. from Toolstation/Screwfix, Aldi/Lidl.  Some shops including supermarkets can be expensive.

If it persists ring Virgin and request a replacement as faulty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

thrice
Superfast

I've not tried it myself but I have read in several places that the 360 remote will work with only two batteries instead of four. I don't know if there will be full functionality. My (four) batteries seem to last about four or five months with moderate use.

Laurencehead
Joining in

Thanks for your replies. It is my bedroom remote so not massive use. I have just brought some alkaline battiers and see if that does the trick if not will get in touch with Virgin for a replacemnet

The newer remotes only have 2 batteries if you have a 4 battery remote, also has the backlit keys then it will work with 2.

I posted the answer below sometime ago. I had a warning about low batteries 2 to 3 weeks ago and they are still working.

The remote requires 3 Volts to operate, each side has 2 x 1.5 Volt batteries in series which equals 3 Volts, both sides are then connected in parallel so that doubles the Amps per hour if all the batteries are the same without any defects, so theoretically the batteries will last twice as long than if you have 2.

You do get 2 levels of warning to replace your batteries, the first one say's something like your batteries are getting low you need to replace them, the second say's your batteries NEED replacing and then it won't do anything. You can usually keep using the remote a week at least after the first warning.

Moschops412
Tuning in

I have two remotes, for the lounge and the bedroom, and since Christmas I have been through 5 full sets of batteries between them. While it's true that my kids use the remotes a fair bit, I'm lucky if I get 5 weeks from 4 fresh decent alkaline AAAs. I thought the reason the 360 remotes used 4 AAAs in parallel (they can also run on just 2) was to increase the battery capacity, but considering most other remotes use just two AA or AAA and can last for up to a year, this is just ridiculous. I'm now buying AAAs in bulk from Costco, and before anyone asks, they are actually made by Duracell.

If modern remotes are now expected to be so power hungry to use all the latest features like voice control then maybe one day someone will produce a USB rechargeable remote instead?

Hi @Moschops412 thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

We wouldn't imagine that the remote would burn through the batteries in such a short space of time, even with excessive usage so this does seem a little strange.

If this does persist with your next few use of batteries, please let us know and we can look to replace the remote for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Our Samsung TV remote has a solar panel and can be charged from USB C cable.

Our Virgin TV 360 remote batteries have lasted 8 months so far.  Still on the originals. We rarely use the voice remote feature.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi Moschops412,

I usually just have a big pack of AAA's from Screwfix or Toolstation, Varta or GP batteries for various things and they seem to last longer than you are experiencing, are you changing the batteries when you get the first low battery warning or do you wait until it says you need to change the batteries and stops working, there can be several weeks between them. 

If you do get new remotes chances are you will receive the newer version that only has 2 batteries but no backlight feature, personally I wouldn't miss it because I don't think it stays on long enough.

Hi Roy,

I buy my batteries in bulk too, but from Costco. It's their Kirkland own brand, but apparently they are made by Duracell anyway so I would expect them to be reasonably good. In the three weeks since I made my previous post, both of the remotes have once again reported that they need new batteries. At first we do get the "low battery" warning, but within a couple of hours of that the "change batteries" message pops up and the remotes simply will not operate until I change the batteries.

If there is a newer model, then I would be very interested in testing one out, as like you I find the backlight function to be rather pointless.