cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 conversion with 2 V6 boxes, recordings.

Marco68
On our wavelength

I'm not sure if I have understood the definitive answer for this or not on the threads. I am about to convert to 360. I have two V6 boxes, one that my mother uses in the granny annexe and one that we use in the main house. We obviously use them independently from each other for recordings. Are we still going to be able to do this with 360? She is 81 and I want to make this as easy as possible to explain to her as she manages with the V6 box just fine at the moment. Thanks in advance.

25 REPLIES 25

the point i dont get is all the recordings being pooled into one? i get it if you have one box and the rest are minis. But it sounds like a complete waste. i have 3 tivo v6s and i dont want to lose the space of two boxes and have to record everything on one box and then stream to the rest. my mum has a box downstairs, i have another family member on the other side of the house with their own box and i have a box in my room. we had 3 boxes. 3 hard drives. now we've got to merge everything into one? makes no sense unless im getting all this wrong!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@djr_uk  As per a previous post in this thread..

Remember TV360 is fundamentally designed around one master box with a recording pool, and then additional minis.

Converting V6 into TV360-masters, and having the option to select the recording box, is a mitigation.

Any multi-room TV360-masters that develop a fault, are replaced with minis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@djr_uk wrote:

the point i dont get is all the recordings being pooled into one? i get it if you have one box and the rest are minis. But it sounds like a complete waste. i have 3 tivo v6s and i dont want to lose the space of two boxes and have to record everything on one box and then stream to the rest. my mum has a box downstairs, i have another family member on the other side of the house with their own box and i have a box in my room. we had 3 boxes. 3 hard drives. now we've got to merge everything into one? makes no sense unless im getting all this wrong!

You can only convert 2 boxes. The third will have to be changed to a mini. I will take this a bit further. Horizon was designed by VMs parent company to operate as a cloud recording platform, which is the way it is used in the rest of Europe (excluding Ireland). This gives you 2Gb of cloud storage space, with mini boxes & more recently Stream boxes having access to the facility. Here in the UK & Ireland the broadcasters do not currently allow cloud recording of their content, so VM have had to modify the kit to run on local hard disks. You have one account on the headend Horizon server, this holds the location of your hard disk(s), so any recordings you set are sent to the correct box, just as they would to a location in the cloud server. If you have converted more than one box you have to tell the server which box/location you want to record on. The master list shows the recordings at both locations by default. This is the way you need to start thinking as regards how the system works.

So, as a result of the above if you lose your internet, & therefore access to the server, you lose access to your recordings & the ability to record, even if the live channels continue to work on the boxes.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the update @Marco68 on the forums. 👋🏼

I'm glad to hear the boxes are working smoothly.
As advised - always feel free to reach out to us here if you have any queries.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I wouldn't be accepting a mini over a recordable box.

BigChippy
On our wavelength

Re previous posts.

I have two former v6 boxes converted to 360 and a mini box. To the best of my knowledge I did not advise the server which box to record on, however I note that all my recordings are held on my “Lounge” box. It is worth noting however that it possible to view recordings for each former v6 box separately, by that I mean recordings originating from each box. To do this select “Recordings” then “View all” then click on “Recorded” and select “Recorded on this Virgin TV box.”This isolates recordings as indicated which will be useful for those wishing to isolate recordings from each box as queried by the original poster and others.

Hope this is off value to some.