cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 conversion with 2 V6 boxes, recordings.

Marco68
On our wavelength

I'm not sure if I have understood the definitive answer for this or not on the threads. I am about to convert to 360. I have two V6 boxes, one that my mother uses in the granny annexe and one that we use in the main house. We obviously use them independently from each other for recordings. Are we still going to be able to do this with 360? She is 81 and I want to make this as easy as possible to explain to her as she manages with the V6 box just fine at the moment. Thanks in advance.

25 REPLIES 25

Marco68
On our wavelength

If recordings are pooled to the master box, what happens to the hard disk on the other box? Is it only used if you record specifically to that box, or does that hard disk take over if the one on the master box gets full?

Tavis75
Super solver

I think it only records what is specifically set to record on that box, there's no smart management of the storage space. So if one box is full it will stop recording (or delete stuff) even if there's space on the other box.

Marco68
On our wavelength

🙄

Marco68
On our wavelength

So the other V6 box is just so they don't need to send you another of the mini boxes instead and doesn't really serve much purpose by the sounds of it?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Remember TV360 is fundamentally designed around one master box with a recording pool, and then additional minis.

Converting V6 into TV360-masters, and having the option to select the recording box, is a mitigation.

Any multi-room TV360-masters that develop a fault, are replaced with minis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Marco 👋.

Thanks for reaching out. This will help assist you with the difference between the V6 box and the conversion from V6 to 360 and the difference between the 360 and the 360 mini 👉 360.

Should you have anymore questions please reach out to us here.

Sabrina

BigChippy
On our wavelength

For what it’s worth I am a 360 convert, whilst there are some seemingly backward steps there are many advantages and I wouldn’t dream of going back to the old interface. It has been suggested that you cannot record to a specific box, you can, albeit not to a mini box, simply select advanced options and select which box you wish to record the programme. Advanced Options give you a number of recordings options perhaps not immediately obvious. As stated you can also set up a number of profiles which could meet your needs. Stick with it I doubt if you will regret the switch

You can record programs to specific boxes, but when you view recorded shows it still shows all the recordings from all the boxes together, so recording to a specific box only really helps from the point of view of making use of all the recording space available and the fact that you can filter programs by box, but I believe you have to do this every time you go the list of shows, it's not something you can set on permanently, plus of course you have to remember to change the box to record to every time you set up a recording.

I don't think profiles help either, as you can't have separate sets of recordings per profile, they just affect the favourite channels list, the advertising you see and the "watch next" list plus the position each person has reached in a partially watched program. They don't do anything to help the issue of deleting a recording that some one else hasn't watched either. 

What do you think are the advantages of the 360? All it seems to offer is voice control (which seems a bit gimmicky and requires you to use the specific remote, rather than a universal one) and profiles (which don't do an awful lot) but you lose an awful lot of decent features (many of which are unique to V6\TiVo).

BigChippy
On our wavelength

I take you point re specific boxes. The original poster wished to create a situation where his mother could find her recordings in a set location does creating a profile for her not meet that requirement. 
With regard to my preference for the 360 set up I much prefer the visual interface which think is a big improvement over the somewhat dated v6/TiVo set up. I make good use of the voice control feature to change channels and move forward during adverts etc but then again I use the remote control provided for the purpose. I am aware of a couple of features missing from the 360 set up, perhaps they will get round to them in time. 
I do accept that adapting to 360 can take time for some,  ultimately it is down to personal choice but for me it’s an improvement.

Marco68
On our wavelength

Been using it nearly a week now. I really like it and like you think I am sold. The change over for my mother has been very smooth too. There are a few things that are not so good as the previous incarnation, but then there are new additions which I like. All in all more positives than negatives. Thanks for your help and advice.