Menu
Gaz22
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

360 confusion

Hi all, need someone to explain this if possible. Previous set up was 2 V6 boxes. Upgraded to 1gig and the 360 format and asked to send my old equipment back when the new package was delivered. New stuff arrived, hub 4 and 2 V6 boxes (no mini box).   
Phoned VM and was told this was better as it doubled the storage ( hard drive in each box).   If VM are saying you can use 2 V6 boxes why do they not just send the hub 4 out and update the V6 boxes you already have, then nobody will complain about loosing storage with the mini-box having  no hard drive. 
My Question..,Is there any advantage to having this new mini box when the 2 V6’s work, all I can think of is it to save money when it’s a complete new install, the mini box possibly being slightly cheaper????       I know the new V6 is made by humax but as far as know any V6 box can be upgraded to the 360 platform 

many thanks 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 confusion

The Humax box is not a V6. It’s a TV 360 box and can’t be a V6 box.

You have been sent 2 x TV 360 and should install them and return your 2 V6s.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

The Humax box is not a V6. It’s a TV 360 box and can’t be a V6 box.

You have been sent 2 x TV 360 and should install them and return your 2 V6s.

@Gaz22 I can understand your confusion as all indications via this forum so far have said that two main Humax TV360 boxes will not work together, the second box needs to be a mini.  Your previous thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/360-box-s-connections/m-p/4602106 confirms you have been sent two main boxes.

It will be interesting to read how you get on with this arrangement, especially whether both Humax TV360 main boxes will record in you set-up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gaz22,

It has been seen that you can connect 2 x 360 boxes together and they apparently work better than 2 upgraded V6 boxes, the misinformation seemed to come from Virgin that 2 x 360 boxes with HDD were not compatible but they managed to tweak the software upgrade to the V6 boxes to get it work, you can only assume they wanted to save money and just down grade people to a lower spec system for the same money.

See this thread for a working 2 x 360 box system,

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/New-boxes-and-I-can-record-to-both/m-p/4595521#M5...

I don't work for Virgin Media and these are my own thoughts.

0 Kudos
norven
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guys

Sorry if I'm just stupid as I don't follow all this tech talk. I received an e-mail recommending that I upgrade my system at no cost. I was told by VM that I could upgrade to Virgin TV360 - "our fastest, slickest way to watch and stream on all your screens". What nonsense!! It has been nothing but trouble since I received a box containing two remote controls and a 360 mini box. There were virtually no instructions. After several attempts and error codes I tried online for answers but kept being told to contact VM. I eventually got through on telephone (Continually being told by recorded messages to go online as it would be quicker - but if you do you are told to phone) - first time the person was unable to help out and after another hour or two I tried again and this time got someone who seemed to be able to help and the system seemed to be up and working including my previous V6 box being moved to replace the Tivo box. After a few days all the problems just became too much to put up with at least 2/3 times a day the system freezes, am unable to view saved recordings (recorded on new 360 system), unable to record several times in the day and when I am able to view saved programmes get several delays due to buffering. None of this was encountered prior to 360 when I used the V6 as main box with the Tivo in the second room. Oh almost forgot a further annoying issue the lack of pausing live programmes. What a mistake I made changing.

Again I contacted VM by phone and still nobody could resolve my issues. I was then contacted by a VM technician on the phone on Saturday morning (having been promised a call by 1900 hrs on the Friday. The technician was also unable to help admitting that he had been on holiday when the new system was coming out and did not yet understand it himself. He finally arranged for me to receive a home visit by a Technician that will be between 12 noon and 4pm tomorrow Tuesday 9th. Let's hope this guy will be able to help otherwise I feel I will ask him to take away all their equipment and I'll go elsewhere.

Hopefully someone from VM reads these messages and sees how upset this customer is.

0 Kudos
Gaz22
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have had them set up from Friday, both humax boxes and both running 360 with no issues, fingers crossed lol. 
The only difference apart from a totally different layout,  there is not 2 different boxes showing for “my shows” or “saved” as its now under, they appear on each box exactly the same. 
It does not show how much space you have left to record on, you can go to settings, system, recording settings and it will show your 2 boxes. The odd thing is it shows I’ve used 1% on both boxes so I think it just shows your overall percentage you have used. 
Not sure if it’s 1% of 1TB or 2T, not technically minded but if the 2 boxes hard drives were used would recordings not need to be split between the 2 boxes 

0 Kudos
withitnow
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey all

Well. The confusion is real but this is mainly from VM's adverts, information, ordering process and publication etc. I upgraded to the ultimate oomph bundle and already had 2 Arris V6 boxes. My order confirmation and advice whilst chatting to them online was that I would get a new 360 box and a mini box. I had read here that people had been receiving to new full Humax 360 boxes and hoped this would be the same for me. 

Luckily it was. No issue setting up and set up all my recordings. Actually was a good time to purge old and dead links, but that's just me :). On the last post about the recordings and seeing them all together etc. I think this is the point as with the profiles and being able to view anywhere, I'm sure the reasoning is it doesn't matter where it's recorded it's just that you can watch it when you want.

When viewing your recorded shows or even planned recordings, the default view when entering is the total recordings across all the boxes. But this can be filtered to show what is just recorded, or planned, on the box you are viewing on. Just use the drop down at the top. 

Obviously this is only the case if you have more than one main 360 Software box. If you have a mini box with no hard drive, there is only one box with a hard drive. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Ultimate Oomph Bundle
0 Kudos
withitnow
Superfast
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey all

Well. The confusion is real but this is mainly from the adverts, information, ordering process and publication etc. I upgraded to the ultimate oomph bundle and already had 2 Arris V6 boxes. My order confirmation and advice whilst chatting to them online was that I would get a new 360 box and a mini box. I had read here that people had been receiving to new full Humax 360 boxes and hoped this would be the same for me. 

Luckily it was. No issue setting up and set up all my recordings. Actually was a good time to purge old and dead links, but that's just me :). On the last post about the recordings and seeing them all together etc. I think this is the point as with the profiles and being able to view anywhere, I'm sure the reasoning is it doesn't matter where it's recorded it's just that you can watch it when you want.

When viewing your recorded shows or even planned recordings, the default view when entering is the total recordings across all the boxes. But this can be filtered to show what is just recorded, or planned, on the box you are viewing on. Just use the drop down at the top. 

Obviously this is only the case if you have more than one main 360 Software box. If you have a mini box with no hard drive, there is only one box with a hard drive. 

Hope this makes sense.

Ultimate Oomph Bundle
0 Kudos
Gaz22
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Could it be that as the ultimate oomph bundle comes with 2 boxes and before you upgraded  you already had multi room giving you 2 TB of storage, then they supplied 2 new humax boxes that would work together, you’re old boxes not being able to do this if they were just upgraded to the 360 platform.                                
If however you were an existing customer with 1 box or a new customer you get  supplied with a 1 main box and a mini box.  
It’s the only explanation I can think of.

0 Kudos
withitnow
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey

Yes. That seems likes a logical explanation to me. Just a little confusing for people as they are not sure which configuration they will get. But the fact someone upgrading has 2 V6 boxes gets 2 new full 360 boxes to maintain storage makes sense as you say. Either way, I am happy I got 2, rather than a mini. May depend on package and specific requests. Who knows going forward.

Ultimate Oomph Bundle
0 Kudos