Menu
SD4
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

360 box sound sync issue with Sony soundbar

Recently upgraded to virgin 360 box as part of package upgrade. Having so many problems with sound syncing that the box is virtually unusable. The issue can be temporarily fixed with adjusting the audio delay but then drifts again within minutes. The audio delay is different across different channels and different formats like catch up and live broadcasts. I seem to spend all my time adjusting the audio rather than watching tv. I have tried every possible setting on the 360 box based on info gleamed from the forum. 

Tv connected to 360 with hdmi. Soundbar connected to tv with hdmi via ARC. 

No issues at all with previous V6 box - I want the back! 

Is there any word on a software update for the 360 box? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 box sound sync issue with Sony soundbar

Have you tried disabling dolby digital on the 360?

0 Kudos
SD4
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yip - tried that. Tried all audio option settings on 360 - follow content etc. Changed the output on soundbar to pcm. Tried all the options for picture format too. 

I’m wrestling with virgin to try and get my v6 box back as the 360 is virtually unusable with the soundbar - unless there is a way to force the 360 to update and if an update is available from virgin to fix the sync issue. My previous v6 box had no such issues.

All very frustrating as was meant to be an upgrade!

0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I used to have my V6 connected the same way, V6 to TV, TV to Sony using fibre, that worked, with the 360 I had to change to, 360 to Sony with HDMI and Sony to TV with HDMI, also on my Sony I have a sync sound setting set to on, and the 360 set to follow content. As other people have said on previous threads what is the point of the soundbar if you set dolby to off, that is not really a fix.

All depends on your soundbar connections and what other items you have connected, if you have a fibre cable you could try the 360 to your soundbar with that.

SD4
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The sound out the soundbar is good but I think it’s  a fairly basic one bundled with the Sony tv. The soundbar has only 3 ports - 1xhdmi, 1xusb & 1x optical. 

my tv & soundbar sit separately from the 360 box & router in a cabinet with 1 hdmi cabled under the floor between them - so maybe limited options.

Is it worthwhile buying an optical cable to connect the tv & soundbar and ditching the current hdmi ARC connection until a potential software update is available. 

Thanks for all help and suggestions. 

tafrock
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have Sony tv and soundbar. To eliminate lag connect surround amp direct to 360 box using optical

Connect TV to 360 box using hdmi cable but not arc

Dolby settings on 360 box set to follow content 

This eliminates the problem 

SD4
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Think I may have to back to the v6 then as the only cable supplying the tv is an underfloor hdmi. No co-ax or cat6 near the tv as it’s all into a separate cabinet with router etc. I couldn’t run a d.audio cable direct between the 360 & soundbar so can’t do as tafrock suggested unfortunately. 

May have to admit defeat on this.

Does anybody know if virgin plan to release a software upgrade for the 360 boxes as there appears to be an awful lot of folks having to re-engineer solutions to this issue.

0 Kudos
SD4
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quick update: I called virgin support again and the support agent didn’t seem to know anything about the issue. When I mentioned the fact that there was a wealth of customers trying to engineer their own solutions on this forum he had a look and seemed to better understand what I was saying and was able to search an update on their support intranet dated 31/1/2021. 

I normally take what they advise with a pinch of salt but he read it out to me - Known issues with 360’s and soundbar sync issue. Advise customers we are aware of this issue and are working on a software update to fix. Advise customers to continue manual audio delay until update released. He mentioned that there were 2 things to try remotely to help alleviate the issue - didn’t say what they were and had no effect for me. Seemed plausible. 

No idea on timescales but he did say that normally anything raised at this level was 7-10 days.

Who knows but hopefully light at the end of the tunnel. 

tafrock
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The digital optical does it for me for now. Thanks for info 

0 Kudos