Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

360 box, engineer won't attach ethernet cable.

Ok, so arranged for engineer to visit to setup my new 360 box to replace Tivo and he said that they don't connect the box via ethernet cable only wi-fi.

I went out especially and bought an additional 5m cat6 ethernet cable so that it would reach my router (in front room) from the middle room. I was led to believe (by the Virgin website and phone operator) that I needed to ask for an engineer because I wanted the ethernet cable setup and the box was more than 3m away from the router. All that is required is a slight widening of the existing hole in the wall that carries the cable through to my middle room and from past experience I know that Virgin installers have SDS drills to do this when installing.

I could have setup the box with wi-fi myself. Now I'm going to have to find someone to borrow an SDS drill from and basically try and do the cabled install myself when I get home from work. Not impressed, Virgin.

So if I do manage to find a drill from somewhere (?) and can run the cable, can anyone tell me what I need to do to switch the setup from wireless to Ethernet please? Is it just plug and play or do I need to change settings from within the box itself? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 box, engineer won't attach ethernet cable.

Yes, just power down the TV 360, attach the Ethernet cable and power on.

It is an interesting question as to whether Virgin Media should install an Ethernet cable, longer than the standard.

In my case, that would mean drilling through ceiling as the router is upstairs and the TV 360 downstairs. For me. WiFi gives an excellent connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie, thanks for your reply and the help.

I only need the existing hole (that Virgin happily put through my wall when installing my Tivo box 4 years ago) widened a bit so the head of the ethernet cable will fit through. I'm almost sure a 3 metre cable would be fine but I bought the longer one just in case. Apparently their standard cable is only a metre long...

0 Kudos
Superstar
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi virgin engineers will certainly connect a ethernet cable, (they did for me) but not drill though internal walls, they are not builders, mine was a standard 1 meter link between hub and V6, if you had prepared the route he may have done it but yours was not a simple standard issue. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The route is prepared. Virgin drilled the hole when they installed my Tivo box - it already has the existing Virgin co-ax going through it. 🙄

0 Kudos
Superstar
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK sorry clack, that didn't come over to me in your post hope it gets resolved. Regards Micky
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

no worries 🙂
0 Kudos