Menu
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

360 box and mini box

So today I was expecting to receive the "Oomph" bundle:

A hub 4 plus a 360 box and a mini box.

But I received the hub 4 plus what seems to me to be 2 mini boxes.

I had already a TiVo box and a V6 box. Am I supposed to use the V6 box as a 360 box?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 360 box and mini box

yes the v6 will be upgraded to a 360
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK thank you. So I wonder why they have sent me 2 mini boxes?

There was no installation guide in the box so I am bluffing my way through. 

My set up is Hub 4 router is upstairs and provides wi fi. 

Downstairs in lounge we have a virgin wall socket to which a coaxial cable connects and goes in to the back of the tv box.

When I tried putting the V6 box in place of the old TiVo I got the message that connection to the internet is lost.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you have the option to upgrade your v6 box on the main menu?

Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1
Wifi Plus
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I never got that far. Just the message saying that I had no connection to the internet. So when I plugged the old TiVo back in there was no problem connecting.

I wish I could just establish for a start why I have been sent 2 mini boxes not 1 x360 and 1xmini as I was expecting.

Wasted 5 hours today on phone and chat to VM and still none the wiser. Each time you wait and then get put through to another department and join the end of a very long queue again. Utterley useless and frustrating as hell.

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So let me understand , you have an old TIVO and a V6 box currently. You have received 2 mini boxes.

Firstly, the old TiVo has all content going via the coax including it's on demand content whilst the V6 needs internet access via ethernet or Wifi to access the on demand content with the coax used for live tv only.

So if you leave your v6 as is and not swap it out with the TIVO , is there no upgrade option as it is surely connected to your internet currently either via ethernet or wifi.

In answer to your question of why 2 minis , there are a possible 2 reasons for this;

1  it should have been 1 main and 1 mini to fully replace both your existing boxes

2 you have been sent an extra mini in error and should have been sent 1 mini to replace your TIVO and you upgrade the existing V6 box.

In either case did you get 2 new tv360 remotes.

In my case when I upgraded, I got 2 new remotes only and my menu enabled me to upgrade my 2 existing v6 boxes over the internet.

Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1
Wifi Plus
VM Telly Tablet
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

What you have said makes perfect sense and also I phone VM very early this morning and they put me through to somebody who confirmed that I am supposed to use my V6 box as a 360 box and update it via ""settings ".

But as you rightly say - my old TiVo box had all the content coming down the coax line. My router is upstairs and my TV is upstairs. So all I have at the moment is the wall socket downstairs so I can't plug an ethernet socket in to anything. 

So I assume I will have to rely on wi fi for the TV. Or alternatively could I move the router downstairs and plug that in to the wall socket? The upstairs socket is my "original" VM connection and my downstairs connections are split from that original. 

What would you advise? 

0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I forgot to mention I got 2 remotes. Are the remotes for 360 and mini boxes the same?

0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry- to correct an error I made above.

Current set up is router upstairs. TV downstairs.

Upstairs therefore has an ethernet connection to the router.

Downstairs has coax socket in the wall, plus of course wi fi. But wi fi is patchy as our house is old and has proper old fashioned walls so I think that long term a hard wired connection to the TV would be preferable.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

I've never needed to move the router myself but I assume as it's only a cable split,  I dont see why you cant move the router to connect to the downstairs wall socket.

So try downstairs, wall socket to coax splitter, then splitter to both v6 box  and hub.  And connect v6 via rj45 cable or wifi to hub.

Upstairs wall socket direct to mini. But you may not get the on demand on mini if it cant connect to hub via wifi through your walls. You may need a powerline booster or the new wifi pods.

Maybe it's worth getting a VM engineer out to configure as I stated above  to support the upgrade. I don think they could charge for this.

Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1
Wifi Plus
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos