Menu
carparkman
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

360 Mini Box Buffering

Recently “upgraded” to 360 with mini box. Previously had multi-room 2 x V6 boxes. Constant buffering on mini box every 5 minutes or so. With Virgin buffering logo showing and short interruption. Boxes connected by Ethernet. Checked strong connections etc. No ther signify the bandwidth being used by other devices.  No problem with the same set up using 2 x V6 boxes previously. I think this is either a software problem with mini box or compatibility problem between old V6 (with new software for 360) and mini box. Can anybody help/advise please? Virgin you need to look at this please?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 Mini Box Buffering

What are you doing when you get this buffering? Multiroom streaming? OnDemand? Streaming apps?

Silly question, but to save someone else wondering - is it the same Ethernet cables as previously worked ok?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
carparkman
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Buffering occurs when watching recorded programmes on any Virgin channel on the mini box. We can watch the same programme on the V6 box with no buffering. Good quality Cat6 cables used and these were the same as those we used with the previous set up (2x V6 boxes) and worked fine then. This can only be a virgin software glitch.  

0 Kudos
carparkman
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Should add that live TV works perfectly on mini box. 

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you had 2 V6 boxes why did you you replace 1 with a mini box when they could both could have been software upgraded to 360.

Are both boxes set to fast start or active start as a starting point.

carparkman
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We had problem with a V6 box after upgrade of both V6 boxes to 360. I asked for new V6 box but Virgin engineer would only replace the defective V6 with a mini box. This all worked fine. But about 3/4 weeks ago after a software upgrade I believe we started to get buffering problem. Happens every time we watch a recorded programme now. 

Both boxes set to active start.

Software is version 4.31

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could try restarting both boxes and if that doesn't work you could try a factory reset, the software upgrade to 4.32 may cure the problem if the restart or factory reset doesn't. If you do the factory reset you get the optio to keep your recordings. 

4.32 is being rolled out, if you know when you had 4.31 it could be 4 week's after that

0 Kudos
carparkman
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tried connecting via WiFi. Mini box showed high speed connection (4K ). But still buffers when watching recorded programme. Live programme all fine.

tried factory reset on mini box and V6 and made no difference

Note although buffering message occurs and there a a few second delay the picture just freezes and then restarts in full definition. Normally with buffering you would expect to see a blurred low definition picture which gradually comes into full definition. But this does not occur which is why I believe this is a software issue. So come on Virgin - please look at this. 

the only other thing I have considered is that I use a Virgin router but just as a modem, and have a Linksys mesh system as router (and my Ethernet network comes off the Linksys system). But this has been the set up for 12 months now and Virgin worked perfectly on 2 x V6s before I had the mini box. 

0 Kudos
roy247
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you watch the recorded programmes on the main box without any problems, freezing or jumping.

Live TV on the mini box is done via the coax cable, is on demand and catch-up working ok on the mini as they use the internet, if you were having problems with iPlayer buffering then it would point towards a problem with the mini and the mesh you are using, if iPlayer is working ok and you were also getting problems watching recordings on the main box then it would possibly point towards a problem with the hard drive in the main box.

0 Kudos
carparkman
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The buffering is only on watching recorded programmes on the mini box (ie any Virgin channel I have recorded on the V6 eg BBC, ITV, channel 4,5 or Sky channels etc whether as a one off or series link).

We can watch those same recorded programmes on the TV connected to the V6 without any buffering, so I know it’s not a problem with the recording itself.

All other services on the mini box work fine including iPlayer and watching live TV. Plus I can also watch live programmes with slight delay on the mini box if I use pause for a short time (but after 90 seconds or do the mini box memory is full but I understand that is normal ). 

0 Kudos