Menu
AshleyMiddleton
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

360 Box Poor Image Quality

So yes, there's plenty of other things better I should be doing on Christmas day, but after watching several movies I can't bear it anymore.

I'm a new Virgin Media customer having had Sky before (on low quality 4k TVs). I have the new 360 Box as well as the 360 Mini paired with a Samsung 65" Q80 4k QLED. I know there is nothing wrong with the TV as using the inbuilt apps both 4k and 1080p content look crisp. However, watching content on the 360 box is appauling. HD content looks like standard, the 4k Virgin and BT channels look like HD at best, and standard definition is....well.....I reckon I could count the amount of pixels. The picture quality of HD channels is notably worse on Sky branded channels although its still a problem across all channels.

I've complained on the phone already. I've been told the upstream signals are perfectly fine and there shouldn't be an issue. They've sent me another HDMI lead which is identical to the one originally supplied and no better as well as trying my own high bit rate cables. I've tried all of the resolution settings within the 360 but with no success. Arguably its slightly better on the 1080 settings (I assume as the TV is upscale opposed to the box) but I think its just smooths some of the image out. I've tried playing around with TV settings but no difference (not that it should because as I've already mentioned it performs perfectly on TV apps). 

Also to cap it off the audio lag is pretty bad. There is virtually no audio lag on TV apps and can be adjusted well with TV settings but the audio lag on the 360 box is bad and no matter what adjustments I do on either the box or TV its no better. 

I'm lost on what to do. Its logged with Virgin, I was promised a call back earlier in the week and haven't had it. 14 day cooling off period runs out today. If the image quality will never be right I don't want the package, but I doubt that everyone just accepts this quality and as so I think there must be an issue.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas. 

0 Kudos
AshleyMiddleton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 360 Box Poor Image Quality

Sorry, reposted in the right place. 

0 Kudos
AshleyMiddleton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelated artefacts & poor quality picture on mini V6 box

I'm suffering the same. All HD channels look SD but more noticeable on anything Sky branded. Sports are poor. I've been told my signal strengths are fine. 

0 Kudos
AshleyMiddleton
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 Box Poor Image Quality

And if it helps, I've noticed that Sky Cinema on demand is pretty damn good quality, but live Sky Cinema is awful. 

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've updated my old v6 boxes to tv360 and been a VM customer 15 years, never had sky so it's difficult for me to cross relate platforms in regard picture quality.

For background within the 2nd week of December I got new oled  LG CX 65 inch replacing an early 2015 55 inch 4k LG, which is now used on the bedroom tv360, upgraded V6, box, and SN11RG soundbar connected via eARC then updated V6 boxes to tv360.

In response to your points

1. No audio sync issues at all on either tv

2  now you mention it I see that sky sports  HD is not at the quality of on demand sky cinema. The lower quality of SD channels is seems more pronounced than what they were on V6 eg Christmas24.

@VM staff...

If I recall correctly, on demand is provided via your internet connection whilst live tv is provided via the coax tv line. This was not the case on the original TiVo service before the V6 boxes. Could be wrong and happy to be corrected. But could these different sources be the cause of image quality differentials??

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1 with UHD
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos
robjw
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My guess is the bitrate on these linear movie channels is simply too low. I have only had Virgin TV for a few weeks, so didn't have much time to compare v6 to 360 before getting the software update. But I agree the quality is dismal. I don't know if this is specific to virgin or if Sky have been dropping the bitrate themselves. There's little point in watching or even recording these channels when it's all available on demand I suppose. I can imagine they'll be discontinued eventually. The only other possibility I can think of is that the 360 box is accidentally presenting the SD versions of the channels.It hides the SD versions and replaces them with HD, but I suppose it's possible there's been a mix up. Seems unlikely though.

I'll have to watch some other channels and see what I think of them. I'm running two upgraded v6 boxes so if it was an issue with the new boxes, I shouldn't see a difference. It would seem odd that software would mess up the HDMI output quality.

Power levels and HDMI cables are never going to fix a quality issue with a digital signal unless it's literally breaking up. 

0 Kudos
AshleyMiddleton
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think bit rate is certainly an issue. And possibly line/signal quality. The audio lag is becoming unbearable and now occasionally drops out completely for a few seconds. Pausing and playing doesn't sort it either. And TV apps are synced well so it's definitely the box/coax.

I really hope it is just an issue with the new boxes/software because if not I want out and will go back to sky. The Internet is superb, the TV is abysmal. 

0 Kudos