Menu
jeffsmithlondon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

360 Box Freezes Recordings Playback

New customer here I am having recording playback freezing issues with my V6 360 Box.  An engineer came out 10 days ago and replaced my first box as it was freezing constantly when I was watching my recordings from all channels.  Tho the same issues have started happening again with my 2nd box tho I have noticed the freezing is only on the recordings I have made from Channel 4 currently.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Do I need another engineer visit or a replacement box.  

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 Box Freezes Recordings Playback

A few things to check/clarify here.. Firstly there's no such thing as a V6 360 box, it's one or the other. If you're a new customer, then you'll almost certainly have a 360 - some confusion can arise because the physical box hardware is the same. But the software & remote control are different - there's pictures here if you want to check. Also any box running TiVo software has the TiVo logo in the top-right of the home menu, which the Horizon/360 software doesn't have.

Second - do you only have one box, or two? I'm only asking because if (and let's take it as read for now) you're on 360, then multiroom boxes don't have hard drives and use your main box's HDD.

Third - you've mentioned problem with Channel 4 recordings. Are these on the HD or SD channel? Can you watch the same channel live? If you have problems with your TV signal, then live TV will be affected as well as the resultant recordings. If the live channel is ok, then try pausing it for 30 seconds and then resume - you'd now be watching it via the hard drive.

If live TV is affected, it's likely to be a signal issue. At that point, it will be useful to check whether you're using the HD or SD version... although that will only help in diagnosis and will make little difference to the advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jeffsmithlondon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply yes it is a 360 Box also can't see the Tivo logo on the top right of the home menu. I only have the one box. All live channels play fine. The recordings are made from Channel 4 HD. Just tried pausing C4 HD for 30 seconds and it is playing back fine.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Great stuff.. in that case, there's a large element of "standard advice" applying here. The box type doesn't make any difference to this - although it's useful to at least know.

If live TV is breaking up and/or pixellating, that usually indicates a signal issue. One reboot to check, if it persists - there's a fault somewhere. There are some further checks can be done if this is the case, but the end result is unlikely to change.

If live TV is fine, but recordings & delayed/paused TV has problems, that points at your hard drive having issues. That usually means (sooner or later) a replacement box.

If certain recordings are fine, but others have issues, then there could have been problems with that particular channel when the programme was recorded - not much can be done about this, short of recording the programme again (if possible) or finding the show OnDemand somewhere.

OnDemand uses the internet and wouldn't be affected by hard drive or signal problems in the same ways.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jeffsmithlondon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again I will monitor it over the next few days and if problems persists will call, just can't believe that is has happened again tho as this is my second box.   

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jeffsmithlondon,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your TV services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

I can see you've already been given full and comprehensive help from one of our VIP's, thanks @japitts 🙂 

I've taken the time to have a look at your 360 box on my side and cannot see anything that indicates a fault which is good. 

Could you give us an update on how it's been since you last posted please?

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
jeffsmithlondon
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan thanks for your message it was just on Channel 4 recordings where I was getting the freezing. All other recordings on all other channels was fine during playback. I haven't actually watched anything the past few days from C4 but I will do at the weekend. Shall I message you then if the problem persists?

Thanks
Jeff

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us Jeff. I've taken another in-depth look into this today, and can see issues with the power-levels that will likely require the attention of an engineer - if all of the connections are snug & secure, then please get back to me via PM so we can help further.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply jeffsmithlondon, I've scheduled the soonest visit and confirmed thedetails via PM. Please reschedule online if required (virg.in/myVM) and keep us posted with how you get on. 

Tom 

0 Kudos