cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 Box Dolby 5.1

Simon7oaks
Tuning in

Hi there,

I have recently moved from Sky to Virgin 360 Box and treated myself to an LG OLED 55G26LA

I have connected it to my old Bose Lifestyle unit via the HDMI ARC but cannot get 5.1, everything is coming through PCM 2.0.

But strangely when I go into NetFlix via the 360 box I get 5.1, and yet on the other apps BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime etc they all come through in PCM 2.0.

I have the Ultimate package so should be getting the highest quality sound and picture through.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you - Simon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ozsat
Superstar

Have you set the audio output setting to 'Follow Content' ?

BBC iPlayer is NOT 5.1 on any platform - only 2.0.

You would need to post some examples on tv programmes etc - apart from Sky channels most others are 2.0 and not 5.1.

On BBC1 today (Sunday)  - only Match of the Day Live  and  SAS Rogue Heroes  are due to be 5.1.    And again both will be 2.0 on iPlayer.

@Simon7oaks wrote:

Hi there,

I have recently moved from Sky to Virgin 360 Box and treated myself to an LG OLED 55G26LA

I have connected it to my old Bose Lifestyle unit via the HDMI ARC but cannot get 5.1, everything is coming through PCM 2.0.

But strangely when I go into NetFlix via the 360 box I get 5.1, and yet on the other apps BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime etc they all come through in PCM 2.0.

I have the Ultimate package so should be getting the highest quality sound and picture through.

Thank you - Simon.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

ozsat
Superstar

Have you set the audio output setting to 'Follow Content' ?

BBC iPlayer is NOT 5.1 on any platform - only 2.0.

You would need to post some examples on tv programmes etc - apart from Sky channels most others are 2.0 and not 5.1.

On BBC1 today (Sunday)  - only Match of the Day Live  and  SAS Rogue Heroes  are due to be 5.1.    And again both will be 2.0 on iPlayer.

@Simon7oaks wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you - Simon.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Hi ozsat,

Thank you for the below, I changed the setting to “follow content” and it is now all working superbly thank you. 

Another question if I may:

I have tried to watch some 4K content (the movie Ambulance) of Sky Movies UHD and I am getting the following message 

“UHD not supported - check if your TV and cables support 4K Ultra HD and you’ve got Ultra HD enabled in your box settings” 

Any idea where I can find these settings please. The TV can support 4K and I’m sure the cables can as they are the same ones as I previously used with Sky box. 

Many thanks in advance. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Simon7oaks 

Go to Settings > Audio & Video > HDMI resolution.  Make sure it's set to either automatic or 4K if wanting to watch Sky Cinema UHD - y)ou might need to set it to 4K)

For anything else, if it's set to 1080p then your TV should do the upscaling, but it won't work on the Sky Cinema UHD in that mode

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for your answer, really helpful, I have changed the setting to 1080p and the picture quality has improved indeed. 

But no option to change it to 4K? 

Am I missing something. 

Thanks

Simon

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Simon,

Have you got a different HDMI cable to test? 

You need a high speed HDMI cable to access 4K content.

Both the 360 and the earlier VM V6 boxes  use HDCP 2.2 for 4K content and if the HDMI cable isn't HDCP compliant it may prevent that option showing on the set top box

The following VM help page explains the HDMI cabling, although it refers to the V6 box this is the same hardware as the 360 boxes.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-watch-4k-ultra-tv 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

ahh ok thank you. 

The Virgin box is connected to my Bose system by the cable the engineer used so I would expect that to be a 2.2 cable. 

But I am not so sure about the cable that runs from the Bose to the actual TV, I’ve tried a few I have here but still no 4K option appears. But no way of telling if all my cables are not HDMI 2.2’s. 

So have ordered two for safety sake for delivery tomorrow. 

I will let you know how I get on. 

Thanks

Simon. 

Hi Dave,

Ok by way of an update, I have tried the following:

New HDMI Cables that are HDCP 2.2 4K/8K 48Gbps have been fitted with no effect

I read the Virgin article regarding getting 4K on the link you kindly posted, and have followed that

Checked both the 360 box and my TV are running the latest software

Even went old school and unplugged everything, left the power off overnight and then tried again this morning, still no effect.

But, I then realised the input into the TV was not in the HDMI 1 slot which according to other forums is the 4K one.

Situation resolved thank fully, the 4K option appeared and it seems I have 4K using that or Automatic in the Settings menu

So now I have a glorious 4K picture with 5.1 sound where the broadcast allows, and it is fantastic.

But in all of this process I noticed how the picture on normal HD channels improved when I selected the 1080P option, I assume due to it upscaling?

But when I selected Automatic or 4K the picture is not as good as when 1080P is selected. So is it not upscaling on those settings?

I guess a workaround I can just leave the setting on 1080P and when I wish to watch 4K select it from the menu?

Just want to say you have been super helpful and your assistance is/was greatly appreciated.

Simon.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Simon,

I'm pleased you've managed to get the UHD working by using the HDMI 1 port.

I admit that's something I should have suggested as not all HDMI ports on TV's are capable of that output, although most are nowadays.

A lot of TV's are better at upscaling content from 1080p than the 360 box, especially when it's an older program.

When setting the 360 to 1080p the 360 doesn't upscale the content, it leaves it for the TV to do.

If the 360 is set to automatic or UHD then it upscales the content, sometimes with adverse results as the TV is also upscaling at the same time.

I've noticed this mainly when watching championship football on the sky sports red button. The feed is only SD and not as sharp which is the same as that on Sky + boxes (only SkyQ boxes stream those games in HD) so I switch my 360 to 1080p for a clearer picture so the 360 doesn't try and upscale it.

The rest of the time, unless the picture is really bad, I have my 360 set to automatic.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.