Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

360 Box. Does it only record with an active internet connection?

I've had 2 failed overnight recordings with the new box that I've had for less than a week. I'm guessing that is because we turn our router off overnight (because we sleep just a wall's width away from it, and choose not to have unnecessary exposure to Wi-Fi). When we had the V6 box, we could record whatever we liked either overnight or while we were away on holiday, when the router was off (and there was absolutely no reason to leave it on in an empty house for a fortnight). Given that the TV box is cabled in, why does it need an internet connection to record even terrestrial tv programmes. If I'm right in my supposition, this is another reason to wonder why the 360 box was promoted as an "upgrade". Our router is not in the same room as the TV so the TV box is "fed" by Wi-Fi. (And don't get me started on the Wi-Fi capabilities of the so called Super Hub!)

Thanks in anticipation of confirmation or advice.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 Box. Does it only record with an active internet connection?

More and more often now when the boxes come out of standby they check with VM servers that your account is still valid. Also there are guide updates pushed out every 2 hours, with a complete rebuild at night along with firmware updates.

I have 2 x V6 boxes, & since the last update a month or so ago overnight activity seems to have increased with these as well.

I would also point out that if you currently have a VM landline, this will migrate to a hub based service by 2025. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 360 Box. Does it only record with an active internet connection?

Thanks for your response nodrogd. I guess you're saying I should leave my router on, but I fail to understand why the V6 box could still record without an internet connection, whereas the new box has been designed so it can't. Maybe it's time to go back to Sky. As for the landline going hub based - beam me up Scotty!

0 Kudos