cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 out of 3 ports working on 3 way splitter

Aerialwise
Joining in

Hi, We had a Virgin media installation over 3 months ago, unfortunately the build wasn't ready for them, they installed a box with a 3 way splitter under the coax distribution rack, the modem/ router was connected and left running since without any issues.

Now the build has been finished the VM TV boxes have been installed in to the lounge and bedroom and the coax (WF100) has been connected from the splitter to each VM TV box through the supplied isolators.

The 3 way splitter supplied has an 1x A and 2x B outputs so my thinking was that  A was for the modem and the 2 B's were for the 2 TV boxes.

Once connected the lounge TV and modem were working prefect but the bedroom TV was breaking up,  I swapped the 2 TV coax cables over at the 3 way splitter, the lounge TV signal broke up and the bedroom TV box was fine.

I then tried the 2 TV boxes coax's in output A  and the other on B with the modem on the second B output, this made both TV boxes work but the modem was sketchy and eventually failed.

So have I've missed something, is it a faulty splitter or not enough signal level to run all 3 feeds, however it only ever the middle output B on the splitter that fails?       

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Excellent news @Aerialwise, and I'm pleased to read of the positive outcome.

Do feel free to come back to our Community Forums, if anything further is required.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What you need to do is call VM and report the fault, and a tech should be sent round to replace the splitter.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

mmj
Superfast

I'd suggest to check your cabling as it may be loose connections, you mention WF100 so I'm assuming it's a semi DIY job? in my experience the Webro WF100 cable is extremely soft and easily damaged and there's not a lot of noise protection in it in all honesty (I think it's 40% braid with inner foil only?). IIRC Virgin use triple screened cable (inner foil+braid+outer foil) with probably 60%+ braid coverage and the centre core is copper clad steel so it's a lot more tough, whereas the pure copper of the WF100 is easily bent and damaged and the foil seemed quite brittle. Also are you using compression fittings or screw on connectors?

It might be better to just ask Virgin to cable it for you and pay if necessary, you could do it yourself but by the time you've purchased some quality cable, compression connectors and tools to terminate it you'll have probably spent just as much. Cheap cable and connectors can lead to noise ingress/egress which can affect not only your signal but the local network so I think Virgin like to do it themselves. By the sound of it if it was unfinished install you probably shouldn't have to pay anyway.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Aerialwise 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your splitter.

I'll drop you a private message now to confirm some further details and we can then look into having this resolved for you. Keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Aerialwise
Joining in

We had a great engineer visit yesterday who isolated the fault to the 3 way splitter. 

He replaced the splitter and all was fixed.

Sometimes it's best not to overthink things.

Cheers for the replies. 

Excellent news @Aerialwise, and I'm pleased to read of the positive outcome.

Do feel free to come back to our Community Forums, if anything further is required.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn