Menu
Billesleygriffo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Line rental saver SCRAPPED!!!

Today (21 August 2018) my parents, who are in their late 80's, tried to renew their 12 month landline rental save, as on their recent August bill, there was a part monthly charge for the line rental, and they couldn't recall receiving a reminder letter to do so. Upon calling Virgin, my dad was curtly told that this offer is no longer available. Asking why he wasn't sent a letter to advise this, the customer service guy just said "It's been advertised on our website" My dad then said that they haven't got a computer, to which the guy replied something like "Well sorry, that's it then". So basically, another kick in the teeth to Virgin customers who not only are going to be hit with across the board price increases in the next couple of months, but also, without proper notice, we will all be losing a service which helped people save a little on their bills. Well done Virgin for shafting us not once, but twice. You may be losing more customers very soon. Sad really

PS - I have logged into my own Virgin account (I have broadband, tv and landline) and cannot find anywhere reference to the offer being withdrawn. I shall look forward to taking Virgin to task when my line rental saver comes up for renewal in December.

0 Kudos
Billesleygriffo
Tuning in
Message 2 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line rental saver SCRAPPED!!!

UPDATE 22 August. Having again contacting to Virgin customer services, I was told that existing customers CAN keep their Line rental saver (LRS) option, but with a big but. Reminder letters advising you to renew the service before a certain date will no longer be sent out. So if you miss paying the annual charge before it is actually due, you'll be lose the option to re-join as you'll then be classed as a new customer, and it is new customers that are not being offered this service. So the fact that you may have been a loyal customer for many years (like me from when it was Birmingham Cable), you'll be penalised if the continuation of the LRS is broken. And it is so complicated to work out when your LRS renewal date is due,as it is charged in advance on bills. My LRS is due to finish on 29 January 2019., but as this advance charge will be on my December 2018 bill, I will need to renew it by beginning of December at the latest. Don't worry, I will!!! Keep your eyes peeled playmates.

JeanHShort
Tuning in
Message 3 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I tried to pay my annual line rental and they told me there is no longer line rental. It has been moved into the package price so there is no longer any "line rental" to pay annually to save money. Call Centre mis-informed or Virgin just trying to stop the use of LRS immediately?

0 Kudos
Billesleygriffo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I think that's utter cobblers Jean. Unfortunately it seems that Virgin are determined to screw us customers any way they can. Sad really

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi both, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you've been unable to renew your line rental saver. 

This isn't something we offer anymore I'm afraid. 

If you renew it before it runs out then it will still be valid however once it's removed, we're not able to add it back. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JeanHShort
Tuning in
Message 6 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Pity the call centre are saying it is no longer available NOW when I phoned to renew it!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry to hear you missed this option to save money each year with us before it expired Jean Smiley Sad

My apologies we no longer provide this offer.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
DifferentLogin
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 56
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media In Violation Of Ofcom Rules

My annual line rental saver runs out on 24 September 2018.  To renew this, I dialled 150, chose the line rental saver renewal option, and eventually got through to a foreign call centre.  The person I spoke to kept telling me that I could not renew my annual line rental saver.  I pointed out to her that the option of paying £196 upfront for 12 months line rental was still on the UK Virgin Media website.  I have attached a screenshot below.  After 50 minutes on the phone I eventually gave up.  The lady was impervious to logical argument.  She also refused to put me through to a supervisor.

The annual line rental saver (£196) represents a discount from the £228 (12 x £19) which would otherwise be payable.  Hence its removal (if correct) represents an increase of £32/year or £2.66/month.  Ofcom rules state: 'providers should therefore give consumers at least 30 days' notice of any such price rise', see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2013/protection-for-consumers-again...

(NB: You will need to copy and paste the above link in your browser's address bar if it does not show as a blue live link after I've posted this).

I was not given the 30 days notice which Ofcom requires.  Could someone from Virgin Media please comment as your foreign call centre was unhelpful and you can't send Virgin Media an e-mail like you could in the old days.  This forum is all that's left to communicate.

Screenshot taken from your website TODAY below.  NB: there is nothing to say that that the line rental saver has been scrapped.Line Rental Saver 030918.jpg

ABrowne
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 56
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media In Violation Of Ofcom Rules

I don't know if anything has changed since 29th August, but I was able to renew my Line Rental Saver then.

I dialled 150, chose the Line Rental Saver option - which is in a very non-intuitive place in the phone menu - and after a 15 minute wait, got put through to someone who didn't know anything about it, and said they couldn't find an option to renew it on their system. As I had read on this forum, and in the Terms and Conditions on the web site (which are still there), that it is possible to renew it if you already have it and it hasn't expired, I said "my understanding is that I should still be able to renew it, would you be able to put me through to a another department that could help me with that?". He said he didn't know what department that would be. I said "how about customer services?". He said "we're customer services." I said "ok, how about retentions?", and I'm very pleased to say that he put me through to retentions without a quibble. The guy who took the call there checked his system and said yes it's still possible to renew it, and did so. So if nothing has changed since last week, it seems if you have LRS that hasn't run out, you can call retentions and they can renew it for you.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media In Violation Of Ofcom Rules

@DifferentLogin wrote:

My annual line rental saver runs out on 24 September 2018.  To renew this, I dialled 150, chose the line rental saver renewal option, and eventually got through to a foreign call centre.  The person I spoke to kept telling me that I could not renew my annual line rental saver.  I pointed out to her that the option of paying £196 upfront for 12 months line rental was still on the UK Virgin Media website.  I have attached a screenshot below.  After 50 minutes on the phone I eventually gave up.  The lady was impervious to logical argument.  She also refused to put me through to a supervisor.

The annual line rental saver (£196) represents a discount from the £228 (12 x £19) which would otherwise be payable.  Hence its removal (if correct) represents an increase of £32/year or £2.66/month.  Ofcom rules state: 'providers should therefore give consumers at least 30 days' notice of any such price rise', see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2013/protection-for-consumers-again...

(NB: You will need to copy and paste the above link in your browser's address bar if it does not show as a blue live link after I've posted this).

I was not given the 30 days notice which Ofcom requires.  Could someone from Virgin Media please comment as your foreign call centre was unhelpful and you can't send Virgin Media an e-mail like you could in the old days.  This forum is all that's left to communicate.

Screenshot taken from your website TODAY below.  NB: there is nothing to say that that the line rental saver has been scrapped.Line Rental Saver 030918.jpg

Its not a price rise. You entered a fixed term contract for a fixed price. That contract, which you knew when you signed up only ran for 12 months at that price has run out. You would have also had a conformation letter clearly stating that at the end of the period the rental price prevailing at the time would be charged. VM are therefore fulfilling their obligation to inform you. All other companies operating line rental saver contracts (I also have one from the Post Office) operate in the same way & are within OFCOM's current rules.

The foreign call centres are again the issue here. I renewed via a UK call centre with no issues whatsoever. It was all so much simpler when the renewal was automated. I don't know why the system can't be modified to check your account for an existing LRS so that you could continue to renew in this way. 

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos