Menu
adelphiaUK
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VoIP phones and switchover

My current phones are VoIP phones and connect to a SIP server.

I have been through all the documentation under this topic but I can not see any reference to VoIP. 

I am currently trying to source the necessary hardware to be able to continue to use my phones under Virgin's 21CV service rather than having to buy a new set of analog phones. Do you have any knowledge of such a device?

The whole point of me switching to VMO2 in it's entirety was to reduce cost but right now it looks like I may have to continue to keep my current SIP account active, even if only for receiving calls but then I would have to get a new set of analog phones to be able to make calls and also halt the number porting which is currently being implemented. 

I would appreciate any feedback / advice promptly as the porting of the number could be imminent. 

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VoIP phones and switchover

Both the older 'TDM' landlines and the 21cv Hub based lines terminate in a standard RJ11/R45 analogue port.

The only difference currently is how they're then delivered between Virgin Media and your home. The Hub based lines use IP technology to do that rather than a separate physical cable, but that doesn't expose that IP system to customer use as it's converted in the Hub and linked to the 'TEL' sockets.

Any phones used for either system have to be standard UK compatible landline devices, not VoIP devices.

Any existing VoIP system you have wouldn't be impacted for better or worse by the home phone switchover.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
adelphiaUK
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

Any existing VoIP system you have wouldn't be impacted for better or worse by the home phone switchover.

Except for the cost.

Why do Virgin insist on calling it what it's not? OK, it is voice over an ip but it's not what the telephony or infrastructure would recognise as VoIP, and why was I told that my current VoIP phones would work after I switched?

Oh well. Bite the bullet and get some new analogues I guess.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's what Ofcom class as VoIP

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/telecoms-competition-...

And it is, it's just terminating in a compatible socket for recent existing landline kit, rather than forcing customers to repurchase devices.

Agree completely that you shouldn't have been told that VoIP kit for other providers would work.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
adelphiaUK
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Interesting read that and no matter how hard I looked, not one reference to VoIP hardware on the consumers side so no grounds for keeping my VoIP phones unless I want to keep a SIP account for incoming calls only (preferably with free voicemail) which thankfully my provider has.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos