cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unplanned Switchover

livingid
Tuning in

Hi 
Due to problems with our landline we had to call an engineer for a repair. These were ongoing problems that have resurfaced over the years. The engineer was very good and efficient but we were given no choice but to have a phone installed into the Hub - although we did voice issues about:
1) Not having a service during power cuts 
2) Losing our phones on the 3 extension sockets in rooms outside of (and on different levels to the Hub) 
After the visit I did some research and found that it is possible to have an installation which would help with both the above issues.
My question/request is how can I get this remedied? I cannot see how to actually send this enquiry/request to Virgin Media directly and so I am using this Forum - hopefully it is an appropriate place to do so.
Many thanks
David 

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you were facing ongoing issues before you were changed over to our phone line Via your Hub, you are correct as we can provide a cable to connect to your wall socket which will enable any extensions we added to work, this would require a call out which would be a 1 off £25 charge as this is an extra appointment after the switchover.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul
Thanks for the reply. 
One point: the callout was to repair a problem with our landline and not to do a switchover (we were not informed of this possibility prior to the visit). 
Before the callout we had 3 extensions in different rooms and on different levels, plus the ability to make calls in a power-cut. Both of these are now no longer working.
We do wish both of these issues (extensions and emergency contact in a power cut) to be remedied. Personally, I don't see the need to pay an additional fee when the repair was not enacted to return our original service and we also had a period of time with poor/unusable or no phone service.  
We do not really wish to discuss all the reasons in a public forum due to the fact that one of these is that someone in the house has a medical condition that might need the communication ability and security that they provide. I am happy to discuss this in private with the service provider.
We would be grateful to have information about how we can do this + arrange a call out + attach these discussions to the call out request.
Many thanks for your help
Regards 
David

Thank you for letting us know @livingid

Just to clarify, if you have 21cv as seen in the landline switchover https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/gh-p/Switchover Extension will not be through the wall connection as your service runs through the hub. In this instance, you will have you have a master phone device that is plugged into the hub and then wireless secondary phones that work off that connection. 

Please let us know if you need any further help regarding this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Akua_A 
Thanks for your response.  realise that this is what happened (21CV switchover) as part of the visit that was in response to issues with our PSTN landline service. We did not have advance warning that this is what was going to happen and we would lose our PSTN system.
However as @Paul_DN confirmed it would have been possible for a connection between one of the hub's 21CV sockets and our main PSTN socket to be made so that both our main PSTN socket and extensions would continue work. In addition, I also believe, it would also have been possible for an emergency box to be installed that allowed some calls to be made during a power cut.
We questioned the issues with the loss of our PSTN service at the time and expressed a desire for the both the extensions to work and to have a power-cut resilient system. But it is only my subsequent research that has has revealed that possible solutions exist that could be fitted on a customers request. 
My reason for posting on this forum is to try and get the maintenance call re-opened so that these solutions can be installed. 
We are requesting that this could be done and we can be contacted in order to arrange a time and date.
Many thanks
Regards
David

I have had a look into this with our team and this is not possible with 21CV @livingid.

I believe there may have been a misunderstanding.

21cv is going to use fiber ISP as an IP telephone system. As it stands, the old cooper infrastructure is due to stop being used in the coming years. You can find out more here https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/.

If you wish to have multiple devices, it is best to use a DECT setup.

If you are needing an emergency backup line, we can help with that. You can also find out more here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs