cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone downstairs, Hub upstairs

El-n-Hils
Joining in

Our main phone connection is downstairs near to the original location of our hub. We moved the hub upstairs to obtain better coverage but this means it is nowhere near the base unit for our phone.

Will we have to move the base unit of the phone to be nearer to the hub or is there some other solution? We do not want to move the hub as it is in the optimal position for wi-fi coverage in our house.

122 REPLIES 122

I wonder how VirginMedia choose which customers deserve to be treated sensibly? And why they don't treat ALL sensibly?

One of lifes mysteries is why don't thesemega companies employ people to answer questions instead of bots.

Hey @GeoffTownley,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums. I will pass on your feedback to the team about this. 
What questions do you need answers to and I will try my best to answer them for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

Confession: I recently discovered that the document that arrived with the adapter mentioned the conversion date. But when I started investigating options to enable my phone base station to remain on the ground floor while the VM hub is located a floor above, including reading community discussions on the topic, I completely forgot that the date had already been specified, and wasted people's time by asking on the forum how I could discover the date. I apologise for that, but am surprised that nobody suggested that I look at the document that came with the adapter, to answer my question, even the person at VM who sent me a *paper* letter (why not email?) apparently triggered by my questions on the forum.

As it happens neither the card that contained my adapter not the info booklet that came with it specified the date.  The former just said 'soon' and "We'll let you know when to plug in the adapter".  I had an email more than 2 months in advance and four texts starting from the same date the last one being the day before the switchover.  At the first one I wrote it on the calendar!

Hi aaronsloman, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear that you've had what sounds like a lot of effort on your part, to get a question answered and issue resolved.  It is definitely resolved now?  Please do reach out in the future, if you ever need assistance.  Our fantastic community members and our forum staff are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

My hub is downstairs and the openreach master socket is on the top floor, 2nd floor, I cannot see how the virgin phone line connects to my analogue phone system. Although the openreach socket is upstairs I do have extensions on 1st and ground floor.

Openreach is BT, the hub is Virgin.

When I had cable installed the Virgin engineer provided a new phone socket where the cable comes in the the TiVo box (and another cable upstairs for the hub).  Unless your installer re-used the old BT socket for the new phone line the implication is that your phone is still on BT and won't be affected by the Virgin change.  Neither seems very likely.

Hi Paul

I'm definitely using the Virgin landline phone,  it's just that I can't find how the virgin phone line connects to the old openreach system. 

I don't have a phone near to my router.

I don't have a Tivo, whatever that is, I just have broadband and phone. 

Openreach is not just BT; Sky, Virgin, Talktalk etc use the openreach network, its supposed to be fully independent from BT, but as BT own it then it does seem as thoughBT customers get a better service😉