cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone downstairs, Hub upstairs

El-n-Hils
Joining in

Our main phone connection is downstairs near to the original location of our hub. We moved the hub upstairs to obtain better coverage but this means it is nowhere near the base unit for our phone.

Will we have to move the base unit of the phone to be nearer to the hub or is there some other solution? We do not want to move the hub as it is in the optimal position for wi-fi coverage in our house.

122 REPLIES 122

A better response, but.

My TV uses wifi to connect to the router.  So does my phone, and my tablet.  So why can't the router be downstairs with the phone?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PaulH2011,

Thank you for coming back to me. At this moment, as we're migrating customers over to be connected to our new Hub based system, connected via adapter to the Hub is the only way to have your landline active.

We design our TV boxes to work with our other equipment, such as the broadband Hub. They are all completely different systems and we are currently not able to connect landline phones to our Hubs via WiFi.

If you wish to have your broadband Hub moved back to where the landline is, we can have this arranged, but please keep in mind, that it will be a £25 charge for the appointment.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Doesn't answer the question.

"We design our TV boxes to work with our other equipment, such as the broadband Hub"  What is this broadband hub?  My Tivo box works when the router is switched off.  It's connected directly to a wall connector cabled to an external box on the house wall that has another cable going upstairs - also externally, to a similar wall connector, and that has the router connected to it. This is entirely separate to the TV itself having a wifi connection to the router.

Why can't I have the Tivo box and the router together downstairs?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PaulH2011,

Thanks for coming back to me. Our broadband Hub is the Router that we provide in order to connect to your services. 

I understand, apologies. Our TiVo box is designed to work by itself, without a WiFi connection, however, our other TV boxes such as the V6 and 360 are designed to work with a WiFi or Ethernet connection. If you're unsure which TV box you have, you can take a look here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-restart-or-reset-your-box

No one is suggesting that you cannot have our different services in the same room. If you'd like to arrange for a technician to come to your property and install all services in the same area, they will be able to do this, but a charge of £25 will be applied for the appointment.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Like I said I have Tivo cabled to a wall socket.  V6 or 360 with wifi is no help if the router/hub is still upstairs.

"No one is suggesting that you cannot have our different services in the same room".  No one has suggested anything helpful so far, only told me several times the phone has to be plugged into the router/hub.  I'm having to ask if specific things are possible, I shouldn't have to do that.  As it is Virgin is forcing this change on me for their benefit and I shouldn't have to pay £25 to find out how to resolve the resulting problems caused by it.

It seems I could take my Tivo box and plug it in upstairs, and take my router/hub and plug it in downstairs, but that's not what I want.  What I want to know is whether I can have them both in the same place downstairs, and what would need to be done to achieve that.  Someone MUST be able to tell me that much without spending £25 for an engineer visit, even though one may be necessary to make changes.

Why is this so difficult?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PaulH2011,

Thank you for coming back. As advised in my previous post; yes, you are able to have both of your Hub and your TV box in the same place downstairs.

However, in order to have this arranged, a technician will need to attend your property to carry out this change. We do not advise doing this yourself, as this can damage the cables and impact the services you receive. The appointment will need to be charged at £25 as advised before. Would you like to have this arranged?

Let us know. Thanks.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Then why wasn't that suggested in the first place?  I said in my first post I wanted to keep the phone in the same room as the TV, without running a cable though the house, but it's taken three of you, 13 posts, and I had to specifically ask why I can't I have the hub and the Tivo box in the same room before you said it could be done.

But I still want to know what is involved in achieving that.  I'm not having an engineer visit without knowing beforehand exactly what they will be doing.

If you don't know then please get someone to respond who does.

Hi there @PaulH2011

Thank you for your responses and I am sorry that you have felt this thread has been more complicated then it need to be. 

Just to be clear and in response to the initial question in your first post, yes the base unit of the phone would need to be plugged into the Hub. If you wanted the phone to remain down stairs, we can recommend a wireless phone so the handset can remain downstairs, but the base unit would still need to be plugged into the Hub. 

If we arranged an engineer for you, they would move the Hub to a location of your request, though they do have the right to refuse a location based on health and safety concerns or if they see that this would cause more disruptions to your service. 

The engineer would essentially move the Hub to the chosen location and recable. 

Thank you. 

I have never questioned that the phone (in my case base station) will have to be plugged into the hub when the change occurs.

What is involved in 'recabling'?  Cabling presumably from the new location of the hub downstairs but to where?  That's what I'm trying to establish!

The engineer would need to see and asses the requested location and they would advise on what cabling would be needed.

Thank you again.