cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone downstairs, Hub upstairs

El-n-Hils
Joining in

Our main phone connection is downstairs near to the original location of our hub. We moved the hub upstairs to obtain better coverage but this means it is nowhere near the base unit for our phone.

Will we have to move the base unit of the phone to be nearer to the hub or is there some other solution? We do not want to move the hub as it is in the optimal position for wi-fi coverage in our house.

122 REPLIES 122

Hi Garrett-Dark,

I can appreciate your frustrations and concerns with the home phone switch over. This is a change happening across all UK providers, and sadly it isn't something which can be avoided. You can find out more about the home phone switch over here.

We do offer a backup device called an EBUL, which will allow you to still make calls on your landline via a SIM if your broadband service were to fail. We'd be happy to request and get this installed for you if you'd like; just let us know. We can also arrange for extensions to be fitted free of charge through an engineer visit, which is something we can also book in for you from here.

We do have a number of different contact methods which you can speak to us on if you needed to get in touch. You can view them here.

Beth

We use wireless handsets so have the same number of phones in the same places as before, I've just moved the base station from where the physical pair came in to where the hub is, which is on a different floor.

As far as reporting a fault goes without a mobile you will have to use someone else's phone.  Maybe not ideal but that's 'progress'.  And as the Amish say 'Progress' doesn't necessarily mean 'Better'.

PaulH2011
Superfast

Move the base unit.

Tsubodai14
On our wavelength

Our landline is connected to a Telewest box at the front of the house. Our broadband comes in several rooms away, so wiring from one to the other is not really feasible. I can look at a longer phone cable to bring the phone into the same room as the router but, before I do I have a question. I assume the answer is "no", but:

Can I connect the supplied adapter to an ethernet switch in another room, connected to the hub/broadband via powerline adapters? Assuming not, but wanted to check.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tsubodai14 👋

Thanks for posting, and a warm welcome back to our Community Forums.

As the Fibre Phone network is a separate line on the Hub to the standard Broadband network, you wouldn't be able to plug the adapter into an Ethernet Switch or any Powerline Adapters.

In most cases, we recommend that your Hub and phone should be within 2 metres of each other. If this isn't possible, or you would like your phone in another room, you would need a Technician visit. If this is the case, our technician will chat with you about the location of the phone and suitable wiring alternatives during the visit.

You may be able to find answers to your questions, here, and we're always on hand if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Tsubodai14
On our wavelength

Ok thanks for confirming.  Obviously those recommendations weren't in place at the time of the install 😉.  I'll order a longer phone cable and reposition the landline

You are going to run a phone cable through several rooms?  Why not get a cordless system with at least two stations, put the base unit near the hub and the others wherever you want.

Tbh, we don't really use it save for occasional (and mostly incoming) calls and really only have it as part of our package. The longer cable should work fine for our needs.

Edit to add - I'm not going to run the cable throught the rooms, but that would be necessary to keep it in the current location given powerlines won't work. It's more convenient in the curent location, but will now just be at the far end of the house.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Tsubodai14

Thanks for your response!

If you changed you mind and do end up looking to book a tech visit for this, please do let us know and we'll have this sorted immediately for you. Have a great day 🙂

Regards 

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That's exactly my worry Paul, not due to be switched over yet but it will happen. My phone line is downstairs and computer and hub are upstairs, I do not want to have the phone in upstairs, what a nightmare and not acceptable.