cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I keep old hub password on new hub, will everything work as previously?

ahrbee
Fibre optic

A VM engineer will come next week with a new hub for the landline changeover. If I have the new hub installed but retain the old hub password and the wifi password, will all my devices continue to work as normal? Or, with a new hub, will I have to update all passwords on all devices to keep them working?

As it happens, my phone is very old and it may not work with a hub. It is a Vanguard 4001AR, made in the 1990's, which can now be seen in the Museum of Design in Plastics. https://www.modip.ac.uk/artefact/aibdc-000544. Does anyone know if it will work?

As I seldom use the VM line, I have the option of doing nothing. 

21 REPLIES 21

ahrbee
Fibre optic

How all occasions do inform against me [Shakespeare]. Having had all the angst over the new hub, ultimately declined, we have just had an e-mail from VM which says:

'Our records show that your existing Virgin Media broadband Hub can’t quite handle your broadband speed boost. For this reason, we’re sending a new Hub to your home address which you should receive by [1/7/2023 ].'

So, whichever way we turn, we must have a new hub. I wish I had been told this from the very beginning.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM's PSTN will be switched off by end-December 2025, so all landline will be provided via a hub. As I explained only a hub 3 or later can do this, so retaining your old hub is not an option. In case you're thinking of moving to another operator, Openreach has the same strategy.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection