cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I keep old hub password on new hub, will everything work as previously?

ahrbee
Fibre optic

A VM engineer will come next week with a new hub for the landline changeover. If I have the new hub installed but retain the old hub password and the wifi password, will all my devices continue to work as normal? Or, with a new hub, will I have to update all passwords on all devices to keep them working?

As it happens, my phone is very old and it may not work with a hub. It is a Vanguard 4001AR, made in the 1990's, which can now be seen in the Museum of Design in Plastics. https://www.modip.ac.uk/artefact/aibdc-000544. Does anyone know if it will work?

As I seldom use the VM line, I have the option of doing nothing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ahrbee 👋 Thank you for your post 😀

Your new Hub will come with a factory generated WiFi name and passcode, so you’ll have to reconnect your devices.

Or, you can change the WiFi network name to mirror your current one. Just ask the technician about this when they come to visit.

If by any chance your phone doesn't work, you may need to look into buying a new handset.

General advice on how to get a Virgin Media Fibre phone can be found here

We hope that helps. If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ahrbee 👋 Thank you for your post 😀

Your new Hub will come with a factory generated WiFi name and passcode, so you’ll have to reconnect your devices.

Or, you can change the WiFi network name to mirror your current one. Just ask the technician about this when they come to visit.

If by any chance your phone doesn't work, you may need to look into buying a new handset.

General advice on how to get a Virgin Media Fibre phone can be found here

We hope that helps. If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel

HavencroftKev
Fibre optic

Yes, sadly as you are getting a brand new hub you will have to reconnect all your devices to the new hub.

ahrbee
Fibre optic

I think I will ask the engineer if I can use the old wifi network name and see if this will avoid having to reconnect all devices. If not, I may just stay as I am with the existing hub. It works fine. I can cancel my VM land line in due course.

HavencroftKev
Fibre optic

I'm not actually sure that is possible as your devices will see the new hub as a whole new network. I could be wrong though, let us know if it was possible.

ahrbee
Fibre optic

I don't know either. If the existing codes and passwords on my devices coincide with those the engineer inserts into the new hub, it could be possible. VM says it is possible but we will see on the day and I will report back.

The day is 19 June. Yesterday, I was offered a date next week by text and I accepted, only to be told it was no longer available. I was offered another date which was inconvenient so I had to decline. The VM response was that I would be offered no more alternatives. It sounded as though VM had run out of patience with me so I had to take what I was given. The conversation was all by text and I suspect computer driven. It provided a rather chilling view of what it will be like dealing with just robots in future.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ahrbee, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Your new devices would need to be linked to any new Hub you receive using the details on the sticker.

With the date for the visit, we can check what is happening for you. We will just need to take a few details via private message so I will pop this over to the purple envelope on the top right of this page now. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

ahrbee
Fibre optic

Thanks Natalie. I have responded to your private message. I am now very confused because your advice seems to conflict with the reply given by your colleague Daniel Et yesterday who said there is an option. [see above reply]. Daniel said  'Or, you can change the WiFi network name to mirror your current one. Just ask the technician about this when they come to visit.' Can I do this to avoid having to reconnect all my devices?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply. 

I have checked and the technician can change this for you or you can access your Hub settings to amend the details once installed. 

You are welcome to request this or discuss this more with the technician when they visit. 

Thanks, 

Nat

ahrbee
Fibre optic

The technician came today with the new hub. He said that whether he changed the settings on the new hub or not, we would have to re-insert passwords into all our devices. We decided to keep the old hub. We will lose the use of the landline but it is seldom used for outgoing calls and never for incoming calls.