Menu
onbehalfofmum
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

unable to receive or send photos

My mum is struggling with a Huawei Smart P 2019 handset which won't send or receive photo messages. 

I don't live close but am trying to help. It isn't an allowance issue as she has £5 per month for photos unused. After four phone calls Virgin sent out a new SIM. My mum has since accepted two texts for the settings but still can't send photos 36 hours later. I don't live near and she finds it hard to communicate with Virgin due to having some hearing loss and not being technical.  Any solutions? Huge thanks.  

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: unable to receive or send photos

I was not aware of an allowance for picture messaging or are you referring to  spend cap.

MMS picture messages are 50p a go. An incredibly expensive way to send photos

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
onbehalfofmum
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much. I did mean the spend cap. Unfortunately she won’t try WhatsApp as a free alternative so we do need photo messaging 

0 Kudos
goodbodyj
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Could she and you enable "Chat" in the Messages app?  For me it's in the Settings menu of Messages.

If you both have Chat working then photos can be sent using mobile or wifi data at no additional cost.  If you Google for "android message chat" or "rcs" you should find some more info.

I'm not sure if Huawei uses the standard Android / Google Messages app, if it has its own App for messaging then that may or may not support RCS / Chat.  It's not available on iPhones sadly.

onbehalfofmum
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Great reply. Unfortunately mum insists on texting photos rather than using chat or an app. I will encourage her to phone Virgin and hope for the best. 

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @onbehalfofmum

Thank you so much for oyur post and I'm so sorry to see your Mum is having this issue with her phone?

It is possible she may need to enable her phone to be able to send MSM messages, I have look online and have found this site with instructions on how to do this with a Huawei phone

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
onbehalfofmum
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thank you Ash - really appreciated

0 Kudos
goodbodyj
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully they'll get MMS working for you but if not, to clarify my previous message...

"Chat" works in the usual app your Mum sends text messages from.  It looks just like a text or MMS message.  Under the covers it's a bit different, but not to her as a user.  It needs to be enabled in the app she currently uses to send text messages but once that's done she carries on as she always has.

Google may explain it better than I do here:  https://support.google.com/messages/answer/7189714?hl=en-GB 

Screenshot 2021-05-24 23.23.54.png

Both sender and receiver need "Chat" enabled, otherwise SMS or MMS will be used.  And it's free to send pictures!

I'm on commission, 0.000001p for each Chat message sent, so I promote it.  😀

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello onbehalfofmum

Please keep us up to date with how the call goes or if your mother needs further assistance 🙂

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos