cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to receive SMS

hicks12
Tuning in

Hi,

not sure when it started but it was likely this morning 12th november, I have been unable to receive SMS on my virgin sim.
This affects OTP and normal text messages from other networks, I have another sim on three which allowed me to verify this issue.

This is incredibly frustrating as a basic system has failed, I only realised this was a problem when i couldnt get my 2fa code but ive missed some important texts this morning because people assumed it would work!

Is anyone else having issue in the Plymouth area? I have tried different phones and manually registering the network, turned off 4g calling, wifi voice and manually tried setting up sim on virgin which seemed to fail and only the manual EE network selection would work so maybe there is an issue with my sim using EE when virgin is moving to o2/vodafone?

Calls work fine and mobile data works so literally just SMS!

7 REPLIES 7

rkiley
Dialled in

Welcome to the club.  This has been an issue for the last 18 months or so.  See this thread at: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Issues-receiving-OTP-text-messages/td-p/4328952

Solution?  There is not one (other than moving to another provider) or devising some work around.

I first became aware of the issue about 2 weeks ago -- and despite some warm words from the Virgin Team who monitor this board, nothing happened. 

I found a work around to my problem -- and Virgin Money now send OTP to my landline (but this required calling Virgin Money and hanging around for about an hour.)

Assuming a solution is not found within the next 6 weeks (and this a racing certainty based on the comments in the thread referenced above) then I will raise this with OFCOM (and try to get media outlets like You and Yours interested).  

In my mind this is a clear breach of the contract and all customers affected should be allowed to leave this network without incurring a financial penalty (for terminating the Virgin mobile contract)

Thanks for that but I think this is a different issue as I am not receiving actual text messages from other networks/phones not just OTP sms.

Bad enough OTP seems to have issues its ridicilous but cant even have family text me!
Annoyingly not every one I talk to is using Signal so have to rely on SMS sometimes.

Cant have such a basic system fail but as you pointed out the OTP issue has been present for over a year and still has no solution which is just unbelievable, I was in the process of testing out this other three sim and its been just as good as it used to be in my area so this has pushed me over the edge to get my pac code and move my number over properly now, virgins loss.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hicks12,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues receiving SMS messages.

Can you confirm if you've tried rebooting the handset, and wiping the SIM?

Can you try sending a text to yourself?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

Yes tried rebooting, different handset and tried messaging myself but none come back they only go out.

I have another three sim which is sending and receving fine but sending to my virgin mobile it wont receive the message. confirmed this with multiple people that I dont get their text but my three one does so its specifically the virgin mobile for me.

ive done every possible debugging step I can think of.

Thanks for confirming 🙂

So I can take a closer look at this for you I'll need a few more details from you. 

I've popped you over a private message for this (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Looks like the issue has been fixed now as ive received a flood of messages that were all meant to be received earlier so somehow it was delayed/halted from sending and has been delivered on mass now.

Havent changed anything my end and ruled out my own device being at fault so I take it someone spotted an issue and resolved it in the interim.

Thanks for looking anyway alex.

Great to hear this has been resolved 🙂

Thanks for letting me know.

Take care,

Alex_Rm