Menu
akb1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"SIM not valid" : new SIM card in Nokia 100

Hi Forum Team

Today I followed the instructions on a Virgin Media letter dated "09/08/20" about the new SIM.

Sadly, my Nokia 100 phone responds with the message "SIM not valid". 

It seems that I'm not the only Nokia owner to have this problem. I am not willing to pay for a new phone to solve a problem created by the new SIM for a "better network". Please can you contact me with a satisfactory solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: "SIM not valid" : new SIM card in Nokia 100

Look on the letter or red card for an unlatching code. About 15 digits long

Follow these instructions where CODE is the number

Remove SIM card
Type in #pw+CODE+7#.
If +7# does not work use +1#

1. To show p in the phones display - just press * three times within two seconds.

2. To show w in the phones display - just press * four times within two seconds.

3. To show + in the phones display - just press * twice within two seconds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
akb1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I tried both combinations but neither worked.

The letter's red card only contained an 8 digit "unblocking key" so I used that.

On pressing the final # key it does not show on the screen (the #) and no positive unlocked message (or any message) appears. It might be ignoring it perhaps [?]

No 15 digit number is provided for unblocking, but at the top of the letter there is an "order number" (which is 15 digits). Would it be that? I wouldn't want to just randomly try it as apparently we only get 3 attempts!

If I understand correctly this procedure is to change networks. The old working SIM reports the network as T-Mobile. What is the new SIM network? If that's T-Mobile too then is the problem elsewhere (e.g. SIM not compatible with Nokia 100)?

Thanks for your help so far.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for letting me look into this @akb1

Keep me updated with how you get on with the new phone and we can assist if there's any further issues 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
Messybeast
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I spent a lot of time researching this (as I have a Nokia) and the problem is that most of the old Nokia phones have a software lock (meaning the software in the phone's processor chip) and this cannot be unlocked using a remote unlocking code. The only way to unlock affected Nokias is by downloading new software into the processor - basically reprogramming the phone. It means the new SIMs aren't compatible with the network locking method used by these older Nokias. Unfortunately if you have an affected Nokia, you won't be able to unlock it by typing a code into the handset.

This isn't a problem with Virgin's SIM set up, it is how Nokia set up their phones to hard-lock them to a network (VM used to use the EE network so that is what the phones got locked to).  There is software out there on the internet, but it means connecting the phone (by cable) to a computer so you can download new processor software into it (there's also no guarantee it will work properly).

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Messybeast 

Isn't the Internet wonderful. 

Not knowing that has allowed me to unlock most of the Nokia phones mentioned on here by code.

I shall desist immediately knowing that what I have been doing for 17 years was in fact impossible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

akb1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @Emma_C

The new phone works with the new SIM 🙂

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team