Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

phone won't text or call in Iceland despite £99 balance

I cannot leave Iceland because of Covid.  My Virgin Media phone [removed] will not send texts or make calls despite having a £99.17 balance.  I emailed [removed] and got a text on the phone telling me to text back for help.  BUT THE PHONE CANNOT TEXT !!!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: phone won't text or call in Iceland despite £99 balance

Hi SmcvLn,

Sorry to hear you're unable to make call or texts whilst abroad in Iceland. Was it working before but it suddenly stopped? Can I ask whether you was able to make and receive calls and texts in the location before but it's stopped now so you're sure there's signal?

Can you try a manual network search for the following networks and try them to see if they work:

SIMINN (LANDSSIMINN)

VODAFONE (ex-Tal) 

Please give us more information so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This is my backup phone while I am forced by Covid to remain here in Iceland.  It is Virgin Media pay as you go.    I make sure to use it every 180 days to keep the sim alive.  I tried on May 5.  It failed to send texts or make calls.  It is connected to Vodafone.  It does receive texts from Virgin Media.  The latest text came from +44753016422 on 11-May-2020 at 10:55:10 "Thanks for getting in touch.  We're sorry to hear you're having issues.  Due to virus quarantines closing some of our contact centres, it might take longer than usual for us to call you back.  Want us to pick up this issue by messageing?  Just reply YES."

BUT THE PHONE CANNOT TEXT A REPLY.

When I try to call 789, I hear "Sorry the number you called is temporarily unavailable".  This message is in UK English.

When I try to call an Icelandic number (+354....) I hear "This number is not in use."  This message is also given in Icelandic, so it comes from Vodafone.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi SmcvLn, I've spoken with Lisa about this and I hope you don't mind me chiming in - I am aware of another customer roaming in Iceland who is experiencing very similar issues. I'd like to message you and get a bit more information that will help us get to the bottom of what might be causing this and raise it with the relevant teams.

Please look out for my PM (the purple envelope) and get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate you getting back to me @SmcvLn, I'm sorry for the problems you've had but rest assured we're doing all we can to help get this sorted, I'll get in touch again with an update asap.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Further to my previous message @SmcvLn - the team who are looking into it have asked for examples of specific examples of dates/times you have tried to send a message or make a call unsuccessfully. If you can please send me another PM confirming the timestamp for 5 examples of unsuccessful calls/texts (examples that are hours or days apart if possible?) that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

unsuccessful calls from 07757832223 to:

+3546636607      09:55 GMT 10 Jun
+4477[REMOVED] 09:53 GMT 10 Jun
+3546636648     15:09 GMT 09 Jun
789                     15:09 GMT 09 Jun
6636648              14:46 GMT 22 May

text
+4475[REMOVED] phone does not retain date stamp for texts
                              approx 22 May
[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked that my phone number [REMOVED] is active in the Virgin Media system?

It was suggested on the public forum in May that my phone number might have been marked as inactive in the Virgin Media computer system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for those examples - I've taken note of them but asked the mods to remove the numbers as we can't post that publicly. Let me reassure you what was suggested previously is not the case - sorry for any confusion around that. 

It's looking more likely to be a network issue but as soon as I have confirmation on that I'll let you know and we'll take it from there. Sorry for any issues caused in the meantime.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Has there been any progress resolving this issue?

I still cannot phone or text from Iceland and still do not receive incoming calls or texts (except texts from Virgin Media).

0 Kudos