Menu
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

nokia 201 compatible with new sim ?

Will this phone (Asha Nokia 201) work if the sim is swapped to the new one VM have sent - assuming they can provide the correct unlock code ? It is locked to VM and was bought at one of their shops some years ago. Only the old red sim works as the new purple sim and an EE sim require the code to unlock the phone. If I remember correctly there was a problem with some or all of the older Nokia phones being rendered useless due to compatiblity issues ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: nokia 201 compatible with new sim ?

The only thing I can say it has been the Nokia phones running Symbian based firmware that has problems. Unfortunately this applies to the 201

As to unlocking code availability I hope Virgin can obtain it as Nokia have changed hand twice since that phone was produced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looking at the specs on https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_201-4280.php

it's only 2g enabled with EDGE Class 12 and GPRS Class12.  I don't know if the new sims work on 2g

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it's actually quite a nice phone and unusual in having a full qwerty keyboard looking similar to earlier Blackberry models.

Is there any risk of the new VM SIM damaging the phone rendering it useless ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it's only 2g enabled with EDGE Class 12 and GPRS Class12.  I don't know if the new sims work on 2g

Yes, the new SIM cards work fine with 2G which is staying around for some time in the UK

It's 3G that is being phased out. That process began last year with reduction of bandwidth on certain sites. 

The new SIM will not actually damage the phone itself and ,,

Asda Ee Plusnet SIMs all work without unlocking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So I tried an EE sim but it also won't work as requires the restriction code.

Phoned VM and they advised to have the new sim cancelled and continue with the old one instead.

Today VM called with the unlocking code number (15 digits) but unfortunately it did not work.

Maybe I must take it to a phone shop and pay for it to be unlocked ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi chops, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 

Apologies in the delay picking this up. I am just going to go off your last post to save everything being talked about again. When you have been given the code to unlock your phone, did it come by email also? Just to make sure if the one that was given on the phone 100% matched? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ryan,
I received the identical code by email but both were incomplete as they omitted the #pw+ before the code and +1# after. This also didn't work but changing the +1 to +7 did finally unlock the phone. I now await another replacement new SIM that has been ordered as the previous one had been cancelled by VM unbeknown to me. Once I have it I will do the swap and determine if fully compatible with the old Nokia's symbian operating system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Perfect, thank you for coming back to me and letting me know. If you could keep me updated when the SIM arrives that would be great 🙂 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New purple SIM received and seems to be working fine.
For info this was a Nokia Asha model 201 or RM799.
Uses Symbian 40 operating software version V.11.81