Menu
molecatcher
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

new sim

I also have a Nokia 100 and the new sim is 'not valid'. Help please Emma C!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new sim

The Nokia 100 is an old 2G only phone, so it may not be suitable for the network changes that Virgin will be making shortly.

0 Kudos
molecatcher
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So what is a recommended replacement?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Any newer phone that works on 4G.  There's hundreds to choose from.

It would be good if a Virgin staff member could come and help you.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jpeg1 wrote:

The Nokia 100 is an old 2G only phone, so it may not be suitable for the network changes that Virgin will be making shortly.

My father has a basic talk & text 2G DORO phone. Put the new SIM in & it worked straight away. Most of the problems seem to be with phones that are locked to a network.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
molecatcher
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So do I need to unlock my Nokia 100 to allow th new sim to work or is that a waste of time?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You didn't say the phone was locked.  Yes that would certainly be worth trying.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@molecatcher wrote:

So do I need to unlock my Nokia 100 to allow th new sim to work or is that a waste of time?

Unless you originaly bought the phone as "SIM FREE" (bought the phone seperately & just put a Virgin SIM in, as I did for my father), then your phone will be "locked" to a network.

Virgins old "red" SIM cards are coded into EE's network or even T-Mobile/Orange if they are old enough. The new ones reflect the fact that Virgin has bought into O2 now, so the new purple SIMs are coded differently but currently roam onto EE. Your phone sees this SIM as belonging to different network & locks you out, so you will need an unlock code from Virgin, plus the instructions for inputting this into the Nokia handset.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
molecatcher
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So although my old phone is a Virgin supplied phone it could still need unlocking, am I correct?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@molecatcher wrote:

So although my old phone is a Virgin supplied phone it could still need unlocking, am I correct?

Yep! As I said these phones are locked to use the red SIM cards only. You will need to get it unlocked to recognise the purple SIM as they are coded differently.