Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

new sim does not work

My very elderly friend was sent a replacement sim because the old one was no longer being supported. This sim has never worked and he was unable to get anywhere with Virgin on the phone although I believe he did report the matter before lockdown Virgin have done nothing. He does not have internet or broadband hence it's me trying and it is certainly trying.

The sim gives 'sim not recognised' which I diagnose as being unsuitable for the phone. The phone is a model which is not listed, a Nokia 1112. it worked perfectly well before.

I have the IMEI number if anyone can help.  and his landline number if someone from Virgin can offer any constructive help. That does not mean buy a new phone as he is not able to go out and cannot buy on line and wouldn't want to buy something he hasn't seen anyway.

Here we have a single person aged over 90 isolated without a mobile for the whole of lockdown and there is no means of contact with the provider.

He uses the mobile continuously normally and feels very lost without it. It costs a fortune for him to ring a mobile from his landline and he has no phone upstairs in case of night emergency. I think this is disgraceful.

I expected to get a live chat come up but no, nothing but this forum so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new sim does not work

Hi supergran4,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Do you know when he got the SIM and if any time passed before putting the SIM in the phone? As it may have expired before use. We can get another SIM card sent out if needed, but we might need to speak with him to clear data protection, unless you already have those details on hand. It can also be that the handset is locked and will not respond to the newer SIM cards, do you know if there was any kind of message when he put in the SIM card? If it is a case of the handset being locked then it will require unlocking first or getting a newer handset. Handsets can be ordered online and do come with a 14-day guarantee if it isn't to his liking.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks for coming back so quickly.

I will ask re length of time, I think he may have left it till the old one failed. Phone is not locked as he has been with several providers over the years.

the screen just said 'sim card not recognised' and a friend who is popping round with things checked and it was in correctly.

I can give you his landline but not in an open forum obviously. that's why I would have been happier with a live chat situation.

I'll get back to you tomorrow about the delay of use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

also i should have said, I have the IMEI number and the mobile number already if you need them, again, not for public view.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not saying it is the case but we have had a number of posts where the new SIM cards have not played nice with older Nokia phones.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us Supergran4, 

Did you manage to find out the length of time before activating the SIM? They need to be activated within 32 days, if it's longer than this then we'd need to send a new SIM or as advised it might not be compatible with the older phones. 

Let us know how you're getting on and we can have a closer look at the number via a personal message if needed. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

will get back to you this afternoon, Phil and I do not have the same day / night patterns!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No worries, not an issue. 

We're around to help when you need us 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So, it was pre lockdown and it seems he thinks he definitely did use the sim within the 32 days and went to the shop in town for help. They could not get the sim to work but did not offer any solution. It is clearly well over 32 days now!

You surely should know whether you are no longer supporting certain phone models and make this clear. One has a choice then of researching a replacement phone and the possibility another provider might still support the original phone.

If you can definitely say you no longer support the phone, then we will look into the above. Meanwhile he has been paying by direct debit for something he has not been able to access and is due a refund from the moment you withdrew the old sim.

If you think it is worth trying another sim then he will be very pleased to talk to you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi supergran4,

Thanks for so much for replying, I'll send you a PM shortly so that I can get those details that you do have. Maybe I can see what's occurring on the mobile account for your friend. 🙂

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos